single tier build ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

auto4life

Reaction score
I'm thinking of making the all grain jump with a single tier system home built (2 keggles and a 10 gallon cooler) I picked up a bayou classic sq-14 off craigslist and got the idea to set up a sliding rail under the two keggles to help lower the build cost all I would do to switch from heating the hlt to the boil keggle is slide the burner and frame left or right. No lifting heavy vessels at all. Does this seem like a good idea or is there something I'm not thinking of?

Should work. May be easier/cheaper to buy another burner instead of the cost of building the slide mechanism. Course the cool factor has its good points too.

Update... just finished tig welding the fittings in my boil pot and wet tested. I put in 2 low fittings for false bottom and level gauge. Another a little higher for temperature probe and another at the top to recirculate wort thru during cool down (once I buy a pump). Constructive criticism welcome!!!

ForumRunner_20121202_203334.jpg

ForumRunner_20121202_203355.jpg

you probably want a way to hold the burner in place when it moves into place. would be a problem if it moved and was between the 2 vessels. maybe thumb screws or indents on the rail? i would use 2 rails, probably round. it would simplify the plumbing, no need for splitters and separate ball valves, but you lose the ability to heat multiple vessels at once (back to back batches, heating water in both vessels at once).

Back