Stone "drink by" IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had the last batch which was Enjoy by 9.21.12 I think the next batch is Enjoy by 11.09.12. Dont know if you will get it out there, they seem to be only sending it to select markets. It was really tasty, a lot like their 16th anniversary minus the extreme citrus flavors.

I tried this last week, the November dated version. I was told all late hopped, with 11 varieties. The enjoy by date was 6 weeks after brew day. I had it at about 3 1/2 weeks I think, not exactly sure.

It was pretty amazing. Extreme to be sure, but it seems like if you want to re create the taste, just drink beer one oz at a time from the little Mylar hop pouches! It was off the charts hoppy, but not in a bad way. Like nothing I've ever tasted, to the extreme.

I tasted it right at the brewery. It's got me wanting to invest in a filtration system so I can do my own version.

I hear that they are regulating the distribution such that they can spread it around so more folks can try it, rather than just sell to same markets repeatedly, since its in limited supply.

I'd like to hear more about what hops y'all think its got, and how to do a brew it yourself version.

TD

I've had all the enjoy by releases so far, don't hate me because I live in SD, so its not as difficult to come by. For the most part they have been all similar beers, but the second batch I tastes was a little over the top with the Cat pee/dank hop flavor and aroma. Stone really seems to be trying to make this beer fairly often and get a wider distribution. If you get a chance to try some definitely try it. I think it really is a good example of the San Diego style IIPA and for that matter the San Diego IPA. Its a dry clean beer with an up front american hop character, but is really showcasing the west coast preference for the dank, catty, citrus, pine and resinous hop varieties. The ABV is around 9% and it really sneaks up on you, definitely split the 22, or don't plan on going anywhere after you drink it.

I spoke with Greg Kock a month or so ago when he was in New Orleans at a local pub and asked him if the recipe was the same for every batch. He quickly said yes. But I have to agree that some have tasted slightly different from others. All have been good to me as I like this style very much.

i found it be overrated, good beer but not worth the price

Comments like this are almost 100% from the other side of the country. Same with people who say this about Bells/Alchemist/Cigar City too. Almost always west coasters. Not faulting anyone, 'cept maybe the beer handlers...somewhere along the line, beers that should be stored cold are subjected to light and temps that are not conducive to beer preservation. It's the downside of craft beer over big beer. Pasteurization takes out a lot of the variability we see in these great craft beers from one side of the country to the other..../rambling

DO NOT...I repeat...DO NOT drink a 2 L growler of Enjoy By by yourself in one sitting. It will ruin your lunch at Stone Brewing World Bistro & Gardens the following day and you probably won't enjoy the tour as much as you should. The samples after the tour, however, will perk you up a little bit.

It is an outstanding beer. I look forward to the day that Stone deems Alabama worthy of distribution of this beer.

Tricky dick, I was in a class taught by Mich Steele this summer, and according to him they are using hop extract for bittering and the base malt for the beer is golden promise. The use of extract gives them (i think) ~20% greater yield. They do whirlpool pettet hop additions for the rest of the beer, I am not positive about the whirlpool hop additions but I'd say Citra, Centennial, and CTZ are fairly prominent in the enjoy by with maybe some Amarillo. Stone also uses a house strain of yeast similar to WPL007 and ferment at 72ºF. Stone is fairly open about their recipes, except Arrogant bastard so Im sure their is a recipe for an enjoy by clone out there.

DO NOT...I repeat...DO NOT drink a 2 L growler of Enjoy By by yourself in one sitting. It will ruin your lunch at Stone Brewing World Bistro & Gardens the following day and you probably won't enjoy the tour as much as you should. The samples after the tour, however, will perk you up a little bit.

It is an outstanding beer. I look forward to the day that Stone deems Alabama worthy of distribution of this beer.

Good luck. I'm in SoCal a few hours up the freeway, and I can barely score a bottle.

I usually only get bottles of Enjoy By, at the Stone company store, or at Bevmo. However, everywhere else, store owners/workers act like they have to bend over backwards, to let you buy a largely marked up bottle.

I go directly to Stone, just to skip all the hassle. It's a really great beer, but people hype it up too much and that makes it hard to find.

I've tried "Enjoy by", I like "Enjoy by", but I'm unwilling to play games to get it in North Carolina. Exclusivity marketing has a long history but let's face it, it's just a good beer. I plan on brewing my own from a Bertus brewery recipe and not obsess about it.

Bsquared said:
Tricky dick, I was in a class taught by Mich Steele this summer, and according to him they are using hop extract for bittering and the base malt for the beer is golden promise. The use of extract gives them (i think) ~20% greater yield. They do whirlpool pettet hop additions for the rest of the beer, I am not positive about the whirlpool hop additions but I'd say Citra, Centennial, and CTZ are fairly prominent in the enjoy by with maybe some Amarillo. Stone also uses a house strain of yeast similar to WPL007 and ferment at 72ºF. Stone is fairly open about their recipes, except Arrogant bastard so Im sure their is a recipe for an enjoy by clone out there.
Thanks! Golden promise! On stone own blog the hops are revealed. What other specialty malt and adjuncts do they use? I've seen sugar, Munich and C-15 as possibles. I liked it (the enjoy by beer) quite a bit. I'm going to attempt a clone for my next or second next (dunno what that means) brew. I tried an AB clone and had heard wlp007 was a good yeast to use for emulation, so was planning that here as well Thanks again! TD

Also,

wondering if I end up doing a 12 gallon batch, to wind up with two full cornys, AND if I want to use HopShot extract, boiling for 90 minutes and adding 20 ml (four syringe fulls), the FAQ estimates 100 IBU added for 10ml into 5 gallons.

ANyone have any experience using this stuff?

TD

Just to be a jerk... At the Costco in San Diego, this was at The Morena location incase anyone in SD is interested.

IMG_2753.jpg

Yeah, Carlsbad Costco had a ton too earlier this week. Picked up a couple. Good stuff.

Stone blog lists all hops etc... Super Galena is the extract, plus there is a mash hop.

Stone Enjoy By IPA
Stats: 9.4% abv, 88 IBUs
Hops bill: Calypso during the mash; Super Galena hop extract for bittering; Simcoe, Delta, Target, and Amarillo for flavor; Motueka, Citra, and Cascade for aroma; Nelson Sauvin and Galaxy for dry hopping

I've tried "Enjoy by", I like "Enjoy by", but I'm unwilling to play games to get it in North Carolina. Exclusivity marketing has a long history but let's face it, it's just a good beer. I plan on brewing my own from a Bertus brewery recipe and not obsess about it.

If you're near Raleigh I've seen it on tap at the Village Draft House and I think World of Beer, and bottles at Bottle Revolution.

Though I'll admit, when I tried it at the Draft House I thought it was very good but didn't change my life. Wouldn't surprise me at all if it had lost some aroma since leaving home base

From the Blog post,

Hopping, as might be expected, was over the top. First, the brew was mash hopped with Calypso, a beautiful fruity hop that we also used in our Stone 16th Anniversary IPA, after which we kettle hopped with a very small dose of Super Galena hop extract for bittering. Then, using a technique I’ve that some ine homebrew circles call “hop bursting,” we loaded up very heavily on the flavor hops at the end of the boil and in the whirlpool. Simcoe, Delta, Target and Amarillo were used in the late kettle hop. Motueka, Citra, and Cascade were used for the whirlpool hop. As you can clearly tell, this beer was super hoppy even before we dry-hopped it, but then we went for it…dry-hopping with 1lb per barrel EACH of New Zealand Nelson Sauvin and Australian Galaxy.

Yep! They spill the beans on this one!

For those who've not tasted, it is reminiscent of opening a small mylar pouch of hops. Then think about pouring beer into the pouch and drinking from the pouch.

Hop-tensity is the most extreme I've ever tasted. I tried dispensing an IIPA through the Blichmann Hop Rocket filled (3oz) with columbus hops (Cascade or Centennial would've been better) and the Stone was MORE intense and enjoyable. The Hop Rocket trick was just too much columbus flavor to enjoy for my tastes anyway...

TD

If you're near Raleigh I've seen it on tap at the Village Draft House and I think World of Beer, and bottles at Bottle Revolution.

Though I'll admit, when I tried it at the Draft House I thought it was very good but didn't change my life. Wouldn't surprise me at all if it had lost some aroma since leaving home base

Tough room! :mug:

LOL..j/k. I do consider it my favorite double IPA on the market right now...at least of the ones I've had...but just like Stone for you, I've no doubt the Heady Toppers/Bells stuff I've had suffered a little travel fatigue.

i haven't had them all, but it is by far my fave beer ever. just delicious. but i will say, it may be my imagination, but the last batch had a much more overpowering aroma than the current one.

Any suggestions on the specialty malt or overall grain bill?

Going to use some plain sugar to avoid too much body for this DIPA

I only tasted once. Base using golden promise.

Probably need a touch of something else: munich, crystal ?

TD

For me Enjoy By on draft may be my favorite beer. I'll have to have a Heady on draft to compare but I think Stone hit the money with Enjoy By and did it on a huge scale.

mtnagel said:
You guy know there is a recipe thread on this, right? I have most of the hops for this except a few of the aroma additions and the base malt which I'll pick up next week and brew in a week or so.

Thanks!

Like a dope, I thought it was called drink by, but its really called enjoy by.

Thanks. Just what I was looking for.
Brewing mine 12/3/13

TD

Back