oatmeal stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KRS1

Reaction score
I am about to start my first brew, and would like to know if anyone has experimented with flavors like vanilla or anything else in Oatmeal stouts

yep

the key is to not skimp out and go with a cheap vanilla extract. In fact good Madagascar vanilla beans themselves are your best bet

hmmm....vanilla oatmeal stout sounds good. I am actually planning a Chocolate Oatmeal Stout myself. Maybe we'll have to swap a couple!:D

i'm making an imperial oatmeal stout in a week or so. i'm not big on adding vanilla to brews, but some people have had success with it.

you will get some vanilla flavor from the chocolate malt :)

DeathBrewer said:
i'm making an imperial oatmeal stout in a week or so. i'm not big on adding vanilla to brews, but some people have had success with it.

If anyone has a good Oatmeal Stout extract recipe to try, please post it. I'd like to brew on in the next couple of weeks for a nice winter beer.

DeathBrewer said:

At what quantity do you find that? I can't recall any pronounced vanilla notes from my brews with chocolate malt.

DeathBrewer said:

I'm still curious at what % you're getting distinct vanilla notes from chocolate malt...:ban:

I just bottled a batch of "Button Pushing Monkey Ginger Snack". It's an extract kit Oatmeal Stout, with about 5oz of fresh grated ginger boiled into the wort for about the last half hour. Smelled exactly like fresh baking gingerbread when I was boiling it up.

yeah I'm doing a Oatmeal cream tomorrow. Just got done checking the starter. Happy Yeasties...so I'm on schedule!

I've never tried vanilla but I'm sure it would be good!

I like traditional "cream stouts" so I stick with maltodextrine and some lactose and it always turns out with a nice creamy mouthfeel....hmmmmm good. :)

I had a brew club member try a Brown sugar cream stout,,,but he is still trying to define that recipe.

Latest posts

Back