American Pale Ale Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed this up yesterday. Went very smooth..hit target OG on the money. Airlock action within 8 hours.

Question about bottling: I read a lot and searched but never find a definitive answer about how long in the primary, secondary, and how long conditioning in the bottle.

I think I had settled on 3 weeks in primary, no secondary and 3 weeks in the bottle. I did use a gelatin for the very first time in another brew just last week so I could do a week in 2ndary with gelatin to clear the beer out nicely if necessary or advisable.

Ed's kegging/crash cooling instructions confused me as a bottler....I've never kegged so I don't know how to handle the process if you bottle.

Ed says 10 days to ferment...should I just bottle after 10 days and bottle condition for 3 weeks or a little longer in primary since I'm not cold crashing like in kegging? (can't cold crash right since I still need some yeast alive for bottle carbination right??).

Thank you for the recipe Ed and anyone for any advice you can provide to a newbie!

Jeff

I have a batch of this in bottles now that I made a few weeks ago. It was my 2nd time using this recipe. I followed the instructions the first time, but this recent batch I used Amarillo hops for the last 2 hop additions. The little bit I had in the tester tasted good, but it's hard to get a feel for it when it's flat and warm.

80.1% efficiency - some how I ended up with around 7 gallons pre-boil. Post boil my gravity was 1.058 - I look forward to some tasty beer with a little more kick than planned!

Thanks for sharing Ed! I am now on board with AG and will be looking to Santa for a larger kettle and mash tun for some bigger AG brews!

I used the same malt bill and and roughly the hopping schedule of the Kona clone (added 1 oz Cent bitter and 1.5 oz dry hop) and i have made a winner of a Haus-brau! it's so delicious and genius brew. the difference maker for APA and IPA hybrid. Actually my favorite AG brew thusfar!

tried this recipe, thanks Ed.
Encountered my first stuck sparge, what a fiasco. I tried tapping on the interior valve, line and mash screen in an effort to get the blockage to release, and the nut that was holding the mash screen to the top of the apparatus fell off. Luckily, since I used two pots to heat my sparge water (5 quarts and 3.5 gallons), I had an extra empty cooler. I dumped my mash into the second cooler, fished out the parts, put my msh tun back together when my neightbor pops over to chat and show me pictures of his nephews brewery. I put the grains back in as I was talking to him, trying to save the batch, but being distracted, I didnt clear the line, which was obviosly full of brain by now. So back into the other cooler, and I took a garden hose to the line. Now back into the mash tun and voila, I have my first runnings. It gets better. Vorlauf, empty the tun and head into the house to bring out the second pot of water. I return to find my wort running on the ground becuase I LEFT MY KETTLE OPEN..I always open the valve after cleaning to air dry everything, but in my rushing around to try and save this beer, I never looked. I only lost about two qts from what i could tell. So I boil, add my hops in the specified times, cool down and pitch the yeast. MY OG was 1.052, probably b/c my batch is a bit light on volume, but I usually get great efficiency both batch sparging lower gravity beers and fly sparging my beers over 1.060. My carboy showed activity in 6 hours, but I never got a huge krausen, maybe an inch or so. I checked on it this morning, still bubbling away (48 hours), but the krausen completely dropped out. I never use dry yeast, but is this normal? Still have hope for this one based on the OG-I'll take a gravity reading in a few days.

For bottler's this is fine.

Actually, for keggers, 3 weeks in a primary is optimal as the yeasties have plenty of time to clean up after themselves.

I am a bottler who doesnt crash cool. How long would you crash cool and at what temps?
do you bring the beer back to room temp to prime? I've always heard you need to add yeast at bottling if you crash cool.

Just finished up a batch, missed my gravity got 1.031, not sure why my mash temp was spot on. Gain bill was a bit different, 8lbs of 2 row pale, 2lbs vienna and 1lb cara belge. Also i accidentally pitched half oz of cascased @20 rather then 30min. Do you think it will turn out?? Hope so I thought it was gonna turn out to be a good batch.

just kegged this one up, primed with corn sugar since all my lines off my CO2 tank are full, so I'm going to have to get drinking to empty one of the 2 taps to make room for this bad boy! I took one last hydro sample and after tasting that I can NOT wait for this one to carb up and get tapped, it was fan-friggin-tastic!!!

I think this pale ale, plus yoopers 60 min DFH clone, need to always be on tap, and I have 2 taps so that works out!!! Everything else can go in bottles, but this batch will not last long.

Thanks for sharing EdWort!!!

Brewed this one up and its very good and my friends are all giving good reviews.
Great recipe and thanks for sharing.

I'm brewing this up along with Blacklab's Orange variation (Here)

I'm really interested to see a back to back comparison of father and slightly abnormal son ;)

I am a bottler who doesnt crash cool. How long would you crash cool and at what temps?
do you bring the beer back to room temp to prime? I've always heard you need to add yeast at bottling if you crash cool.

I used to crash all my beers after I got my fridge, but didn't have kegs. Fridge temp for 2 or 3 days should crash the yeast. Just make sure it is down to terminal gravity. I never had a problem bottle conditioning doing this. Enjoy!

Could someone please explain what crash cooling is both in bottling and kegging?

How do you do it and more importantly, why do you do it?

Thank you in advance for your replies!

Jeff

Crash cooling is basically moving the fermenter to a cold place (outside, fridge, kegerator) for 24-48 hours in order to let everything settle to the bottom. This is done at the end of fermentation. You can then bottle/keg a much clearer beer.

I plan on brewing this up next week, and just made some drastic changes to the hop schedule, with the hopes of bringing a hop punch to the party. Additions are as follows:
.75oz magnum @ 60
.5oz cascade @ 30
.5oz cascade @ 15
1oz cascade @ flameout.

ibu's should be around 38, and cascade presence should be rather high. Thoughts?

Crash cooling is basically moving the fermenter to a cold place (outside, fridge, kegerator) for 24-48 hours in order to let everything settle to the bottom. This is done at the end of fermentation. You can then bottle/keg a much clearer beer.

I've also heard of using gelatin. Are they used for the same effect? Are there pros and cons to using either/or?

Brewed this today. Had to use some Hallertau I had sitting around to make up for the low AA% of the Cascades I found. Looking forward to 5-6 weeks from now.

Bottled my first batch of this about 10 days ago, I've been drinking it for 4.

I can tell this one is not going to be around for very long, my friends came over for a brew session last night and enjoyed this recipe mightily! :tank:

Thanks for the great recipe Edwort! :mug:

Brewed this today. Had to use some Hallertau I had sitting around to make up for the low AA% of the Cascades I found. Looking forward to 5-6 weeks from now.

Wow, when hallertau beats cascade on alpha content, those are some weak cascades!

oh, no. The cascades where stronger that the hallertau; I had the full 2oz of cascade, I added just about .25 oz of hallertau to get the total AAUs indicated by the recipe. I will admit they were a little on the weak side for cascade.

So...ya I brewed this and ended up a bit higher on the gravity - 1.062. I thought my efficiency would suck so I modified my grain bill a bit. Stupid me also modified my brew method a bit at the same time. Needless to say I achieved an 85% efficiency when I calc'd a 50% efficiency.

As to taste - Awesome. I brewed a 90min IPA today with friends. I had a full keg of this ale on tap. I now have <2 gals on tap from 5gals. :tank: They are "happy". I am happy. :drunk:

Thanks for posting the recipe!!

Ok, so i have been drinking this for a week now. great beer. wife has been asking for it by name (I want that light stuff). I substituted Columbus for bittering. looks like I'll be brewing 10 gallons next, its going too fast.

most excellent. I've been looking for a simple, easy Pale Ale to use my first batch of homegrown nuggets and cascades in. this one sounds perfect. just have to decide where / when to use the hops. maybe I could just dry-hop with them. thoughts?

Just kegged this after being in the primary for 4 weeks. Had a strange smell I haven't smelled with any of my beers. Does this yeast give off a very strong odor? (S-05)

Hopefully it goes away after being carbed.

Yup, it ain't the yeast. Could be other nasties, but take a sample from the beer before proceeding further.

The beer looks fine and I tasted the gravity sample and it seemed ok. Guess I have to wait till I carb this keg but it just seemed real weird with the smell. Don't even know how to describe it but the first thing that comes to mind is vinegar.

i've made the extract recipe of this numerous times and finally got around to doing the AG last week. OG was 1.046 and FG came in at 1.008 after 7 days so 5.1% ABV. the AG version tasted much cleaner and looking forward to drinking it on NYE.

also, this thing fermented like a woman in labour, it screamed for 2 days straight. here is a sample video

[ame]http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150342564365046&saved[/ame]

Brewed this one today, OG was 1.052. I made a yeast starter with some leftover WLP002 the night before (just to make sure the yeast was good) and pitched it at about 66F. I'll check it in the morning but I expect it to be going nuts. This beer is a lot lighter in color than I expected for a Pale Ale. I plan to dry hop this one in about 5 days. Hope it turns out well. Thanks for the recipe Ed.

Back