Sweet Water IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aubie Stout

Reaction score
Very nice IPA if yall have a chance to pick one up. Very nice grapefruity/citrusy finish to it that I can't define. Perhaps it's Summit hops? Anyone have any ideas on this beer?

Whenever I get that grapefruity aroma, I always think one of the C hops.

Here's what a quick google search pulled up: Sweetwater IPA from Sweetwater Brewing Company, a India Pale Ale (IPA) style beer: An unofficial page for Sweetwater IPA from Sweetwater Brewing Company in Atlanta, Georgia , United States of America

This mammoth IPA is defined by generous quantities of premium hops and balanced with a premium selection of English malt. Traditionally unfiltered IPA’s lead to the slight haze appearance. An extensive dry-hopping process contributes to its very intense floral hop aroma. The IPA is unfiltered and as always, unpasteurized to leave all the natural flavors intact. If you’re at the brewery you’ll be able to guess what style of beer every brewer has in his hand. THE BEER YOU'VE BEEN TRAINING FOR!

Malt: 2 Row, Pale Malt, Munich, 70-80 Crystal, Wheat

Hops: Columbus, Golding

Dry Hop: Columbus, Golding

Last year I was on the way to Tampa. Had a night of drinking before, plane left Nashville at 8am, had a 3 hour stop in ATL. I had 4 at the Airport before continuing my journey. Great stuff. One of my favorite IPA's.

Anyone have a clone for this? I know the key is the Simcoe (I asked.). I can't get it locally, and would love to brew a case of this.

Heh, while Sweetwater 420 (pale ale), their 'main' beer is one of my favorites I don't care for most all their other styles.

It's been quite a while, I need to try their IPA again. Luckily, it's Taco Mac's beer of the month in June, time to get a free pint glass! :mug:

Did anyone manage to come up with a recipe for this? I tried the IPA in the Atlanta airport a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it despite having to chug the second one or miss my plane.

I need to get up there this week... Need me a Terrapin glass... I figure I can do the Sweetwater and Atlanta Brewing Co. tours soon...

:tank:

The tour should be an outing, I'd like to go yet never been. I don't work that far from there either (over at INHBC).

I did Sweetwater's tour many years ago, apparently they have really tightened down on their free beer giving... but I am sure it is a pretty cool tour.

I got one that's close:

10.5 lbs two row
1.0 lbs munich
.50 lbs crystal 80
.50 lbs wheat malt

70% eff. OG: 1.063.

.50 oz Simcoe 11.9 @ 60min
.50 oz Simcoe 11.9 @ FWH
""" @ 30min
""" @ 15min
""" @ 10min
1.50 oz Simcoe Dry Hop
IBU's: 64

This is a real smooth beer just like the commercial version.

OT:

I would also like to hit up Monday Night brewing... also a friend told me about some guys up in Kennesaw that do something like that... but on Wednesday night.

Sweet Water IPA saved me during my brother's bachelor party. We went down to Atlanta and Alabama with a group of his friends. They're all a bit like frat boys (even though they've never been in a frat but that's the best way to describe them). So they're happy drinking BMC and went to bars that sold primarily BMC. Thankfully, the one non-BMC beer available at these bars was Sweet Water.

I just bottled my Sweetwater clone (Aubie Stout's recipe). The sample tasted FANTASTIC! I can't wait till this one conditions. Beersmith says to let this age for 4-WEEKS! I don't know if I can wait that long.

Thanks Aubie Stout :mug:

I just bottled my Sweetwater clone (Aubie Stout's recipe). The sample tasted FANTASTIC! I can't wait till this one conditions. Beersmith says to let this age for 4-WEEKS! I don't know if I can wait that long.

Thanks Aubie Stout :mug:

Let me know how close you think it is to the original when it's conditioned.

Aubie, my Sweetwater IPA tastes much like I remember the original. The Simcoe hops are really nice! Thanks again for the recipe. I'll be doing this one again.

I got one that's close:

10.5 lbs two row
1.0 lbs munich
.50 lbs crystal 80
.50 lbs wheat malt

.50 oz Simcoe 11.9 @ FWH
""" @ 30min
""" @ 15min
""" @ 10min
1.50 oz Simcoe Dry Hop

This is a real smooth beer just like the commercial version.
I've got a batch in primary w/ this simcoe profile right now(got it from your post), except I used Magnum as the bittering hop, but the rest of the simcoe is the same. Should dry hop sometime next week. Hope its good.

Hate to raise an old thread, but how did this turn out compared to the commercial example? I only ask because the RateBeer pages shows the hops as Golding and Columbus. I sure both would be very tasty, but for close as can be accuracy, which hops should I go with? Also, what mash temp did you guys use?

No one ever responded... SW has changed this recipe a couple of times due to hop availability. I do know they aim to make it an all simcoe beer but have used CTZ at times in the past. Tasting the beer right now, I would say you should target a mash around 152, since there is too much body and sweetness for it to be in the less than 150 range.

The rate beer page is based on the old recipe that used more Goldings and CTZ than simcoe. Stick with Simcoe, Summit, or Falcon Flight and you will be close.

I did mine with magnum at the beginning and a blend of Summit and CTZ for the rest of the additions. The body was spot on but the hop flavor was more oniony (Too much summit).

Mash at 152 for 60 minutes.

11 lbs two row
1.0 lbs munich
.50 lbs crystal 80
.50 lbs wheat malt

73% eff. OG: 1.066.

.75 oz Magnum (42 IBUs) 60 Min
.5 Summit (10 IBU) 25min = I would cut this edition down to .25 oz to reduce onion...
1 CTZ (10 IBU) 15min
1 Summit (8 IBU) 10min
1 oz CTZ Dry Hop
.5 Summit Dry Hop

Yeast: Wyeast 1056

Yup. I love this IPA. Went well with pizza lol

2rfy9me.jpg

I got the chance to sample this as well as their Pale Ale, Brown Ale, and something else I can't recall now last year and they were all extremely tasty beers.

No one ever responded... SW has changed this recipe a couple of times due to hop availability. I do know they aim to make it an all simcoe beer but have used CTZ at times in the past. Tasting the beer right now, I would say you should target a mash around 152, since there is too much body and sweetness for it to be in the less than 150 range.

The rate beer page is based on the old recipe that used more Goldings and CTZ than simcoe. Stick with Simcoe, Summit, or Falcon Flight and you will be close.

I did mine with magnum at the beginning and a blend of Summit and CTZ for the rest of the additions. The body was spot on but the hop flavor was more oniony (Too much summit).

11 lbs two row
1.0 lbs munich
.50 lbs crystal 80
.50 lbs wheat malt

.75 oz Magnum (42 IBUs) 60 Min
.5 Summit (10 IBU) 25min = I would cut this edition down to .25 oz to reduce onion...
1 CTZ (10 IBU) 15min
1 Summit (8 IBU) 10min
1 oz CTZ Dry Hop
.5 Summit Dry Hop

Grain bill is pretty close, hop bill isnt close and there is goldings in it, no summit.

Grain bill is pretty close, hop bill isnt close and there is goldings in it, no summit.

Do you have a clone recipe? I think the color and malt flavor/mouth feel is spot on. I just brewed it again with some Simcoe in place of summit and got closer. I just am not sure i taste golding in this beer... Maybe they add some to balance the simcoe bitterness some... What does your hop schedule look like?

IIRC from last year's Brew Your Cask Off brew day, we were talking to one of the brewer's and the topic of Simcoe was brought up... I was pretty hammered at the time, but I will ask the other guys in the brew crew if they remember... If not, I am sure we can try to weasel it out of someone when we go to make our submission this year...

Do you have a clone recipe? I think the color and malt flavor/mouth feel is spot on. I just brewed it again with some Simcoe in place of summit and got closer. I just am not sure i taste golding in this beer... Maybe they add some to balance the simcoe bitterness some... What does your hop schedule look like?
Yea I guess you can say I have the clone :D but Goldings is in it (lots of it too) and so is Simcoe, No summit has ever been it, take your pick on your bittering hop.
IIRC from last year's Brew Your Cask Off brew day, we were talking to one of the brewer's and the topic of Simcoe was brought up... I was pretty hammered at the time, but I will ask the other guys in the brew crew if they remember... If not, I am sure we can try to weasel it out of someone when we go to make our submission this year...

Who are you with, when are you brewing this year?

Was this previous recipe close?

10.5 lbs two row
1.0 lbs munich
.50 lbs crystal 80
.50 lbs wheat malt

.50 oz Simcoe 11.9 @ FWH
""" @ 30min
""" @ 15min
""" @ 10min
1.50 oz Simcoe Dry Hop

I adjusted my original recipe based on some feedback from an assistant BM. This one is extremely close, but I am not ready to call it cloned yet. My best guess is the flame out may be a little much, b/c my latest seemed a bit more grassy than the original. Being in Atlanta, I get this beer very fresh (Assume within a week of bottling.) so that helps in the taste comparison. I also think mine is a bit more dry than the original, but that could be a thermometer issue on my mash.

11 lbs two row
1.0 lbs munich
.50 lbs crystal 40
.50 lbs wheat malt

37 IBU Magnum 60 Min
10 IBU Styrian Golding 20 Min
10 IBU Simcoe 10min
1 oz Simcoe at Flameout
1 oz Styrian Golding at Flameout
1 oz Simcoe Dry Hop for 5 days
1 oz Styrian Golding Dry Hop for 5 days.

My next attempt, I plan to back down on the flame out to .75 each of golding and simcoe. Also need to make sure I hit 152 F. But as is, this recipe is really freaking close.

Nice.. Been looking for a recipe for this. Easy drinkin' IPA.

I just brewed a clone of the 420 Pale Ale, and I might say... It's really, really, really close. I bottled in a 420 bottle, capped it with a reused sweetwater cap, and let a friend try and decide... He couldn't figure it out, and he's a big craft drinker.

Back