Whats up with this Citra Shortage?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amarillo is one of my favorite hops period. I like it more than Citra, but do like late additions.

It goes fast and will until they allow more people to grow them, but they'll be found throughout the year, so don't worry too much.

My LHBS still has citra pellet and whole leaf from last year.. They never ran out of anything I don't think, might have gotten low on Citra, and got it from someone other than Hop Union, but that was about it.

Haha, sorry about the 5 dollar confusion, it's just Belma that's 5. Others are going to be between 12-18 I believe. I have 3 pounds of citra already from the 2012 crop, #1leaf and #2 pellet from labelpeelers, yet I find it hard to resist buying even more. I think I'll just do amarillo and chinook

Hrmm.. BF deals?

I'll be sure to buy.. But I'll be sure to get another freezer for hops on BF too!!

keep an eye out on farmhouse, he had lbs to citra last year, leaf for 18, pellets for 32.

theBFG said:
Sweeeet I just bought a pound of citra and amarillo from label peelers. Having never tried amarillo, and loving citra, this is good to read! :ban:

Pickledout686 said:
I too am a big fan of Citra and Amarillo, amazing combo for IPA's. My LHBS said that its due to all the major breweries using up all the Citra so us homebrewers are going to have to suffer without it

Gotta chime in... citra by itself is good but citra in combination with Amarillo is amazing!!

Gotta chime in... citra by itself is good but citra in combination with Amarillo is amazing!!

Hops Direct Amarillo goes on sale today, too. :D

I've got my first Nelson/Citra beers still in the carboys and I can't imagine anything being better than that!

Can't wait until they come in! My # of Belma leaf came in last night, so I'm thinking a combination of all three won't hurt. Pretty excited to try amarillo too now that I have read so many good things about it! :D

You all seem to use a lot of pellets. I've preferred leaf. I love hop bursting. Will I be able to notice any difference in flavor and aroma using pellets?

Haha, sorry about the 5 dollar confusion, it's just Belma that's 5. Others are going to be between 12-18 I believe. I have 3 pounds of citra already from the 2012 crop, #1leaf and #2 pellet from labelpeelers, yet I find it hard to resist buying even more. I think I'll just do amarillo and chinook

Haha join the club. I think we may need a support group. I've ordered atleast 7lbs of hops from this year's crop so far. Just ordered 1lb Centennial, Columbus, and Hallertau from Hops Direct (pellets). Told myself I gotta stop this. No more hops til the new year!

My haul so far for 2012 crop

Whole Leaf:
1.5 lbs Cascade
.5 lbs Centennial
1 lb 10oz Amarillo
12 oz Simcoe
1 lb Citra

Pellet:
10oz Magnum
8 oz Warrior
1lb Centennial
1lb Columbus
1lb Hallertau

Haha join the club. I think we may need a support group. I've ordered atleast 7lbs of hops from this year's crop so far. Just ordered 1lb Centennial, Columbus, and Hallertau from Hops Direct (pellets). Told myself I gotta stop this. No more hops til the new year!

Ya, I'll have around 15-17lbs of hops in the freezer after this harvest.

Lablepeelers Citra hop pellets

"Citra Pellet Hops 1 lb are in high demand and always sell out. Product at this point can not keep up with demand and looks as if citra hops will be in short supplies for some years to come."

labelpeelers is my lhbs. Their the ones that got me up and running, check out their website for citra. I was there last weekend and they had lots left!

labelpeelers is my lhbs. Their the ones that got me up and running, check out their website for citra. I was there last weekend and they had lots left!

Sure would be nice if they'd ship out their damn whole leaf. They told me on Monday that it'd be another 2 weeks. WTF? Didn't really get that, as the harvest has long been done. They said they were waiting on their distributor. Aren't they located just down the way from it?

I'm wishing they would ship out their pre-orders also.. been waiting patiently on 2lbs of Citra and 1lb of Amarillo.

Starting to wish i ordered more Amarillo though. :(

Soup4you2 said:
I'm wishing they would ship out their pre-orders also.. been waiting patiently on 2lbs of Citra and 1lb of Amarillo.

Tonight on hopsdirect and farmhouse will have more next week by Thursday.

Haha that happens on every pre-order. You order only waht you can afford/want, then 2 wks later, you can afford more and want more. Then it's too late.

Last Friday HD didnt add cascade and centennial until 4:45 pst. That being said, im refreshing my browser every 30 minutes!

I'm kinda surprised we haven't crashed their website yet!

Hopsdirect always seems to limit you to one pound unless it is a more common hop like cascade. The Labelpeeler preorder didn't do that. Having said that, I am waiting impatiently for my preorder and will compete with all of you to be customer #1 to purchase citra at hopsdirect tonight. I really need to get some citra, so if you guys would wait for like 15 minutes before placing your orders I'd appreciate it. ;)

Soup4you2 said:
Yup, been constantly clicking refresh on hopsdirect :fro:

Glad I'm not the only one refreshing every 2 minutes...
Just go on sale all ready!

I need amarillo more. I hope its not a 1lb limit. Didnt they harvest this in record numbers this year?

I'm just hoping they will not be doing a 1lb limit. But i think they will be, which means i need to do constant refreshing on farmhouse next week also.

Hops Direct FB page says it will be a 1lb per person limit for Amarillo and Citra. No surprise.

Glad I'm not the only one refreshing every 2 minutes...
Just go on sale all ready!

I'm on linux and I wrote a command line script that goes out, fetches the page, and searches for lines containing 2012 hops only. Does all the work for me!

I'm on linux and I wrote a command line script that goes out, fetches the page, and searches for lines containing 2012 hops only. Does all the work for me!

I need a new linux box.. wget + md5 on various pages and check for hash differences ftw!

:mug:

dbrewski said:
wget and grep does just fine, plus I get a listing of the hops.

Then, when it finds them it purchases them and ships them to me.

:mug:

I wish I knew what all that meant....
Off work now and just clicking refresh now on my computer....click click...
Igotsand

Back