Pipe smoking, a lost art.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember walking into "The Tinderbox", inside the local mall. People were smoking pipes in there, talking about pipes, checking out tobaccos, the owner always had a pipe in his mouth and seemed to prefer flannel shirts! Hmm.. what happened to those days?

They decided you couldn't smoke within 100 square miles of a non-smoking human and convinced the medical industry to link every known condition to smoking.

Had a funky toenail once. Got that way cause I dropped something on it. Had a doctor look at it and he, seriously, linked smoking as a partial cause.

All I could say is "No doc. It wasn't the cigarette that caused me to drop the thing, it was the heroin." ;)

Ooops sorry.. not really! ;)

For me? I guess I grew up around pipe smokers. Always loved the aroma of pipe smoke. So one day I was driving in Ventura Ca and saw a pipe shop. Stopped in, came out with a tiny, man I mean tiny pipe and some vanilla aromatic.

Went home tried it, liked it, my wife at the time liked the smell and just like homebrewing found out I could build stuff for my pipes, discover new tobaccos, new types of pipes.. etc. I was into it pretty heavy for 5 o 6 years but got to admit that was only at home. I didn't know anybody my age that smoked a pipe. I was around 28-30 I suppose.

I miss that bulldog. Damned thing siezed up and snapped trying to get the stem out for cleaning.

Bulldog.. Good name for them. I don't know what happened to the one I had. I used to keep it and the tobacco in the top drawer of my dresser. Everytime I opened the drawer the vanilla aroma would fill the air. It was nice!

You know, the only thing I don't like about the Dr Grabows I have, I think there are 3-4 is that they are screw in stems and don't always line up with my mouth.. The bowl ends up tilted to the left or right (looking head on) The push in type definitely are easier to adjust, I'm pretty sure it's bees wax I used on them, or whatever the pipe wax is they sell at the pipe shops. Easier to install, adjust and remove.

You know, the only thing I don't like about the Dr Grabows I have, I think there are 3-4 is that they are screw in stems and don't always line up with my mouth.. The bowl ends up tilted to the left or right (looking head on) The push in type definitely are easier to adjust, I'm pretty sure it's bees wax I used on them, or whatever the pipe wax is they sell at the pipe shops. Easier to install, adjust and remove.

Ahhh. All mine are the push type.

Definitely try the wax. It helps a lot.

Need to hit the rack GMB. Hope to see you here and on the riddle thread again soon! :mug:

Here are my two:

View attachment 76519

The churchwarden is a Savinelli, and the other one is a Kaywoodie. Took that picture with the stem removed to show the metal "stinger" on the inside. Apparently a lot of people remove that but I don't mind it. Like I said I'm new to this so when I do gurgle the stinger keeps the moisture in the bowl, and keeps the smoke drier in general. I love the churchwarden but I tend to get a lot of liquid carry over...

I'd wanted to try a pipe for a very long time and gave up on it after a couple of disastrous attempts culminating in an attempt involving what turned out to be a weed bowl and cigarette tobacco. Finally the release of the Lord of the Rings blurays made me want to try again so I did my research this time, started with a corn cob and then picked these two up!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120921_053553.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120921_053553.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 283
Here are my two:

View attachment 76519

The churchwarden is a Savinelli, and the other one is a Kaywoodie. Took that picture with the stem removed to show the metal "stinger" on the inside. Apparently a lot of people remove that but I don't mind it. Like I said I'm new to this so when I do gurgle the stinger keeps the moisture in the bowl, and keeps the smoke drier in general. I love the churchwarden but I tend to get a lot of liquid carry over...

I'd wanted to try a pipe for a very long time and gave up on it after a couple of disastrous attempts culminating in an attempt involving what turned out to be a weed bowl and cigarette tobacco. Finally the release of the Lord of the Rings blurays made me want to try again so I did my research this time, started with a corn cob and then picked these two up!

Good pipes.

I think I am going to drop by my local on the way home. All those bags were dry to the bone. I did do a steam treatment to rehydrate them but that will be a slow go til' they are proper again.

I am thinking Frog Morton and Blue Note. Unless something else catches my eye while I am there.

This thread rocks. I smoke a 10 year old Missouri Meerscham at work a few times a month, everyone is always jealous and interested. I ordered some stuff from them in Afghanistan a couple of years ago and they sent like 3x what I ordered, with a bunch of free stuff great company.

Anyone got a suggestion on a good, less expensive, non-corncob? And a good online place? My local stores are very poor when it comes to pipe stuff.

This thread has inspired me. I got out my pipe last night. I had a bag of Black Cordial that was still moist. So i enjoyed a bowl. I may stop on the way home for some fresh stuff while i rehydrate the others i have.

Smoking a pipe is like getting a part time job! Ha! I collected many Caminettos and Ascortis before the prices skyrocketed. Fill them with Bayou Night from Cornel & Diehl. Great smoke, not for the beginner, though. Love cigars also, but any fool can smoke a cigar... it takes a little talent to smoke a pipe.
I am reminded of this quote: "A pipe gives a wise man time to think and reflect and a fool something to put in his mouth"
Can't remember who originally said that, but have enjoyed it much.

Cornel & Diehl! I forgot about that place. Pretty wide selection of tobacco if I remember correctly. I never heard that quote Cabron99 but like it!

I use to go to a couple of tobacco places in Ventura, (early 90's) all I remember about one in particular was an older storefront, rocking chairs inside and you could smoke in there.

We use to have a place in Hawaii, I think it was called The Cigar Emporium, but I could be getting that mixed up with something else. It's been a few years. It was a cigar and pipe place. Nice sized walk in humidor, good selection of pipes. Had a couple of oversized leather chairs and a big screen TV. AND there was a nice pub in the next room. You could order a beer from the bar and sit in an overstuffed chair and smoke a pipe or cigar watching a game or whatever. I spent a good number of Sunday afternoons there. There was also a small restaurant attached. So a guy could go there, smoke, eat, drink watch a game - it was heaven on earth. But it was only open for a few years and closed. I never understood that.

We use to have a place in Hawaii, I think it was called The Cigar Emporium, but I could be getting that mixed up with something else. It's been a few years. It was a cigar and pipe place. Nice sized walk in humidor, good selection of pipes. Had a couple of oversized leather chairs and a big screen TV. AND there was a nice pub in the next room. You could order a beer from the bar and sit in an overstuffed chair and smoke a pipe or cigar watching a game or whatever. I spent a good number of Sunday afternoons there. There was also a small restaurant attached. So a guy could go there, smoke, eat, drink watch a game - it was heaven on earth. But it was only open for a few years and closed. I never understood that.

New "clean air" Health regulations have cause a couple of places around here to close their smoke rooms, some just closed their shops completely. The appeal was to have a place to enjoy a cigar/pipe without potential of offending a non-smoker, fumigating a house with lingering odors, or having to keep a stock at home.

Regs imposed split, dedicated, and monitored filtration systems on dedicated HVAC to smoke sealed spaces or licensure was revoked. Of course, the building permits required to provide such improvements also imposed accessibility requirements and many were just too overburdened by the cost of improvements given such a niche market.

Wonder if the world will ever see ePipes with McBaren Virginia No.1 juice. Bah!

This place had a filtration system built in. Even when it was crowded and many people were smoking it was never smokey in there. The building was a stand alone. Just a shame they closed down.

This place had a filtration system built in. Even when it was crowded and many people were smoking it was never smokey in there. The building was a stand alone. Just a shame they closed down.

Sure, sure, but the new regs required the smoking area be segregated from gen pop by smoke sealed barriers and the HVAC systems had to be split off from the mercantile areas.

It's also why many restaurants abandoned having smoke rooms installed.

Ahh... to depressing.

But I have good news, well at least for me. I just checked on my McBarens Virginia no 1 order, it has shipped and will be here next Wednesday!

Just learned that my local doesn't have any Frog Morton in stock so, I went to look at reviews of popular blends. Came across one for McClelland Virginia 35 Stave-Aged. they put a bit of a bourbon barrel in each tin to impart character/aroma.

sounds awesome.

Here's a usual problem for me. It burns down the center, charring a layer, and leaving the edge untouched. I was barely into the bowl when the weak smoke that I had started falling off. It's an accidental blend of 2 or 3 captain blacks. Spilled tobacco became consolidated tobacco.

image-3375142520.jpg

Here's a usual problem for me. It burns down the center, charring a layer, and leaving the edge untouched. I was barely into the bowl when the weak smoke that I had started falling off. It's an accidental blend of 2 or 3 captain blacks. Spilled tobacco became consolidated tobacco.

Unevenly packed, and not properly pre-lit. You gotta make sure the whole top of the plug is burning on the pre-light, then tamp it down with a nail from edges to center, and re-light.

And here is the rest of the picture... a Sam Adams Oktoberfest (sans glass) while my neighbor's chickens clean out her garden. ;)

ForumRunner_20120921_180840.jpg

Man I don't want to get to deep but easily can
In the life that we live we need to be a man
I think a good brew and a fine pipe
Will make a shi++y day come out right.

Whatever world troubles we often times struggle
Knocks on your door and bring on the world crazy bubbles
Man, looking forward to the next day
Everything alright, those words you will say.

Have a good night my CheezyDemon friend.
If I quit rhyming this post I may send..

cheezydemon3 said:
And here is the rest of the picture... a Sam Adams Oktoberfest (sans glass) while my neighbor's chickens clean out her garden. ;)

Girly feet is better than sausage fingers! ;)

Man I don't want to get to deep but easily can
In the life that we live we need to be a man
I think a good brew and a fine pipe
Will make a shi++y day come out right.

Whatever world troubles we often times struggle
Knocks on your door and bring on the world crazy bubbles
Man, looking forward to the next day
Everything alright, those words you will say.

Have a good night my CheezyDemon friend.
If I quit rhyming this post I may send..

Lol. I think you have it right my friend!

Unlike cigarettes (retch) a pipe requires you to STOP. Somewhat carefully do a thing or 2, and then enjoy the fine job you did. It may be a little bit meditational.

Add to that the enjoyment of the fruit of you homebrewing? How could you not grin.

Girly feet is better than sausage fingers! ;)

um.........Thanks?;)

A tin of tobacco, nice beer and a pipe
Fast Andy it looks to me, like you're doing it right!

Hey all, I'm new to the forum. I am 28 and I smoke a straight stemmed Svendborg briar pipe. I usually smoke English and cavendish blends.

edds5p0 said:
Hey all, I'm new to the forum. I am 28 and I smoke a straight stemmed Svendborg briar pipe. I usually smoke English and cavendish blends.

I enjoy cavendish a lot. It's one if the few that SWMBO approves of and actually will smoke herself.

Latest posts

Back