General Keg Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1stTimer

Reaction score
Im getting ready to finally start kegging half of each batch and bottling the other. I was told at the local HBS that its $250 for everything. That would include one 5 gallon keg, the pump, and all hoses. I have a chance to buy a kegerator that comes with a half keg for $225. I can use the half keg for a mash tun so I like that part. But would the hoses and everything be the same for the half keg as a 5 gallon keg? Any other input would be greatly appreciated.

No, the fittings are different. But the big expense is in the CO2 tank and regulator, which are the same.

Commercial kegs have a different setup on top. When you are using corny kegs, they are normally either ball lock or pin lock kegs which have different connectors. The connectors are pretty cheap though for them. If you are want a kegerator and mash tun though I would pick it up, unless you have a way to make yourself a cheap kegerator. You could also check out morebeer.com which offers free shipping and see how much a setup would cost from them.

You will have to replace the sanke (I'm assuming) fitting on the end of the kegerator setup with gas in and liquid out ball lock (I'm assuming) fittings

You would most likely need to buy new hoses and disconnects to get the kegerator that comes with the half barrel to dispense beer from a 5 gallon ball or pin lock keg. Hoses and disconnects are generally the cheap stuff. What can get pricey are the faucets (if you want perlicks), CO2 and regulator, and corny kegs themselves.

I would estimate that you can get a corny keg, a gas quick disconnect, and liquid quick disconnect, 10 feet of liquid hose, and 4 feet of gas hose for under $100. If you have those things, then all you need is a fridge, and a faucet, and a CO2 tank with regulator.

You can also get 1/4" mfl fittings to allow you to use the same lines/hoses with either keg type. They simply go onto the sanke coupler where the barb fittings normally go. Then it doesn't matter. I would use threaded fittings wherever possible in the system. I would also use Oetiker clamps instead of worm clamps everywhere.

The gas tank, faucetts and hoses (3/16" id for beer, 5/16" id for gas) can be used with either keg type. Especially if you go with threaded fittings.

What's the purpose of the pump you listed? With a CO2 system there should be no need for one.

I meant CO2. Sorry about that. Thanks for the input everyone. I would be happy with kegs in a fridge honestly. Of course if I have the kegerator I can keep that in the house.

Back