Yet another Brew stand build..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tally350z

Reaction score
So after much research and reading on the forum. I am making the plunge and build my brew-stand.. I am taking a little bit of everyone's stand designs. I guess you could call it a hybrid. It will a HERMS system, non automated for now. At least until I can make another plunge into that part of the build.

I am going with 2x2" 11 gauge square steel. I've got all the pieces cut so far, and will have more this weekend when I get it all welded together.

For starters I am using keggles, but I will eventually increase in size to some 1bbl customer made SS pots..Eventually. I know its overkill but thats how I am. Rather safe then sorry..

So its been a slow progress. I went and bought a welder and have been practicing on scrap metal to improve my skills. Its nice to learn something that will help in the future too.

P5160186.jpg

P5160187.jpg

P5160188.jpg

P5160189.jpg

Big frame but nothing to keep the legs from buckling. You need some gusset or lower cross braces.

I'm a little confused, you say it's designed for larger kettles (someday), yet the frame is really narrow. The keggles 'just' fit.

I am going to add the braces this weekend and the bottom of the frame. This is all I have done at the current moment so I decided to post it. Yea after thinking about wanting to go bigger I decided to not go that route...

I was looking at those to purchase. But I am going to try and fab some up from some steel that I have. If I fail then I am going to purchase these for sure..

Well after a long delay I was able to finish up the stand. I installed the burners and the windshields. No it is time to buy all the hardware and start putting it together. It is not the best looking stand out there, but it is definitely functional and will get the job done..

The plan I have come up with is to hard plumb as much of the system as I can and keep the hoses to a minimum for easy use..

P7240264.jpg

P7240265.jpg

Well after a few months of collecting parts and doing other little projects I got around to almost finishing the setup.
Here is what I have. I've got the SS herms coil in and still need to put the FB in the mt. Getting ready to do a test brew on the 13th of Oct. Gonna try and figure out what to brew. Maybe a barleywine?

P9220062.jpg

P9220063.jpg

P9220064.jpg

P9220065.jpg

P9220066.jpg

Looks great, nice design. Having just been through a stand build myself, I suggest taking the time to paint it before brewing. That mild steel will rust quickly if you don't.

Enjoy, you're going to make a lot of great beer on that stand!

Sorry, I misspoke - what are the lengths of your hoses? I'm trying to minimize heat loss and am trying to figure out how much to order.

I originally had ordered 15 feet of hose. I didn't want to over complicate it so I have two of the hoses that will be used for different parts of the brew day. I still have one connection to make and I still have about 5 feet left. Two of the hoses are ~3ft, and the other two are ~ 2ft long. I can get exact measurements if you would like them. But I think 15 ft was good enough for me.

I noticed the rust coming through in a few spots, and I had to go back and touch up with some more high temp paint.

Back