Any AC/Heating people out there?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr_Deathweed

Reaction score
Yeah, so the inevitable happened.... I go and spend all our money on brewing stuff with the "Relax honey, we have the money" and now my AC is having problems... So I am trying to find a way to fix it without running to SWMBO with my tail between my legs.

Its not a big problem, just a large condensation leak, but its apparently been gong for awhile unnoticed and has gotten bigger, and the flooring is starting to soften up a bit. The drip pan is intact, I have cleaned all the gunk out of it and flushed the drain line, but that was all clear. After some exploration I found that when the fan kicks on, it is pulling the little bit of standing water out of the drain pan and onto the fan and heating box below, building up a large standing body of water. I have a temp fix on it now by extending the sides of the drain pan with duct tape, to try and keep it from pulling as much water out into the unit, but I know this won't last long.

Does anyone have ideas/sugestions/had this happen before? A good lasting fix would be appreciated so I dont have to spend $$ on repairs and can focus on beer instead;)

Only thing I can think of is to double check the drain line. I had an AC that the drain pan would have to be emptied 3 times a day. It was in the attic (float switch in the pan thankfully). The drain line drained into the sewer lines and I thought it was clear but since there was blown insulation and crud from the drain pan had clogged it. Might try drain-o if you know where it drains. I ended up removing the drain and replacing it with a bigger pipe, steeper slope, and a screen mesh to prevent that stuff from getting in there.

Mine did that and found that it drained into the tub. used a shop vac and sucked out a huge wad of hair. That solved the problem for me.

I work in construction management and have some experience with HVAC condensation leaks, but am by no means an expert. Where is the unit located in the house?... attic, basement, crawlspace? Does it have a condensate pump? How old is the house/HVAC unit? I've seen condensation leaks from the following reasons and yours may or may not be one of these:

-Broken condensate pump (or tripped circuit breaker)
-Condensate drain lines installed on wrong drains (most units have 2 drains, one for vertical unit installation (basement) and one for horizontal unit installation (attic or crawlspace)
-Faulty dampers inside unit (may be sticking)

Your unit should also have a service manual. If your house is relatively new, they are usually left near the unit by the installers for future service referencing. If it is an old unit, you could try to find it on the web, but good luck. If you can find this manual, you may be able to troublshoot it. Otherwise, you'll have to do more exploring or call an HVAC tech to look at it.:(

Back