Controller used for Big Green Egg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonepalm

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just thinking this weekend that i want to build the control box really soon. But i thought i saw someone use theirs on here for their grill.

I want to setup the controller to maintain temp for me on my Big Green Egg as well as making some beers.

Thoughts? it would possibly have to be portable and potentially water proof.

This route would have a higher approval rating from the wife if i could build it for both, hands down :D

I actually used my controller to sous vide a turkey on thanksgiving. I also plan on using this for a smoker. So, that's 3 things I'm using my controller for.

They are basically all the same controller. You would have to retune the controller obviously and change the settings since I assume the probe you are using is different. But they are all using a PID controller.

For the big green egg I assume you are going to use the PID to throttle a fan... If you want to have multiple uses for it, I would build a box with the PID and SSR + Heatsink in it and then have the probes wired using mini-xlr connectors or something so you can swap easily.

The only problem I see is the whole 220V vs 120V problem. For the heating element you would likely want to use a 220V setup and for the smoker/sous vide a 120V (unless you have a HUGE sous vide). In theory you could wire it to be switchable between the two voltages. I can diagram it if you are interested in it.

They are basically all the same controller. You would have to retune the controller obviously and change the settings since I assume the probe you are using is different. But they are all using a PID controller.

For the big green egg I assume you are going to use the PID to throttle a fan... If you want to have multiple uses for it, I would build a box with the PID and SSR + Heatsink in it and then have the probes wired using mini-xlr connectors or something so you can swap easily.

The only problem I see is the whole 220V vs 120V problem. For the heating element you would likely want to use a 220V setup and for the smoker/sous vide a 120V (unless you have a HUGE sous vide). In theory you could wire it to be switchable between the two voltages. I can diagram it if you are interested in it.

He** Yeah, that would :rockin:

This is a company that has the blowers but does make the control box as well.

https://www.rocksbarbque.com/5cfmAdapters.html

I was able to put my hands on something here at work, that has a few temp monitoring probes with it. Think it was made by Omega I'll get the detail on it when i head home after work. But i think there is an interface i can buy for it and it will act as a controller.

He** Yeah, that would :rockin:

This is a company that has the blowers but does make the control box as well.

https://www.rocksbarbque.com/5cfmAdapters.html

I was able to put my hands on something here at work, that has a few temp monitoring probes with it. Think it was made by Omega I'll get the detail on it when i head home after work. But i think there is an interface i can buy for it and it will act as a controller.

Best I could do at the moment is a Google Docs Drawing. Basically I would have a 220V 4 wire input to the box (Black, White (Dashed in Drawing), Red, and Green). You can make a "dongle" if you want it to also have a NEMA 5-20 or whatever you want (depending on current requirements etc). The dongle would just wire the (Black, White, and Green lines and leave the Red Disconnected). Then you SSR the black line and use the White line in the 120V output and the Red Line in the 240V output. This way if you plug the box into 240V 4 pin you can actually use either the 120V or the 220V output without needing any switching.

Does that make any sense?

If you want to know what the hell the NEMA plugs are http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0d/NEMA_simplified_pins.svg

Untitleddrawing.jpg

Back