nottingham...what did i miss?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

packman

Reaction score
Just got online to make my usual order to northern brewer and got to the yeast portion and nottingham has jumped to $4.50 each. I must have missed something what happened at danstar for the price to jump that much. I guess I will start washing and reusing it.

Its like opening fresh vaccum sealed coffee and getting that first whiff of awsomeness....
Aahhh Notty

After i left my lhbs getting a t-58 and notty with there new package wich they think is worth 3 more dollars. my t-58 was half as much I give a big wtf? to that also.Because of that move i dont think ill buy their yeast anymore,take that notty.No yeast for me! ha

They just lost another customer because of this ****. Now I might as well buy Safbrew/Safale/Saflager yeast. It's cheaper and just as good (if not better).

FYI, all of the Danstar yeasts have basically doubled in price. It's not just Nottingham.

At these prices, I may as well make the switch to liquid yeast.

I feel like all of the Safale products have gone up as well. Am I wrong? Not as extreme as the Danstar stuff but, still.

no more notty for me either. s04 is close enough for me, and is still much cheaper. i went into sticker shock when the price change hit

The new packages are nice but shouldn't bump price. I bought five at my LHBS yesterday for $3.20ea in the new nitro packs.

as opposed to the $1.49 or whatever they used to cost in your area

US-05 and Notty were typically ~$3 here. Never checked prices at every sale to be honest though. Anything under the $7 for wyeast is good with me for most beers.

I checked the price and it does seem to be $2.25 there, but after adding 8 packets, the price with shipping still came to over $3. This is saving some money, but for as much as I brew, I'd still rather buy it when I need it, considering I still have a few packs in the fridge for emergency.

It may be as easy for me to toss some Bell's yeast on the stirplate when I'm done with a bottle of Oberon and keep a small supply of that on hand. I'll be freezing yeast very shortly.

just picked up the three remaining packs at my lhbs for $1.95 a piece... and they were in the fancy new packaging. I'll be checking back over there soon to see if they have another box in the back...

Prices are outrageous online. I wonder why they are so much lower at LHBS. Anyways, I can't imagine this helping Danstar's business. The only reason I ever chose Notty over US-05 was price, and now it costs twice as much. Looks like US-05 is my new go-to yeast.

Maybe they're losing business from selling crap yeast that takes too long to start & now they have to make up the difference with fancy packaging and higher prices.

Maybe they're losing business from selling crap yeast that takes too long to start & now they have to make up the difference with fancy packaging and higher prices.

The two times I used Nottingham my results were way less than desirable. I wish it worked out better because everyone seems to like it so much.

Huh... I've just bought a couple of new packs for pretty much what the old packs used to cost and cheaper than us05.

Maybe a year ago there was a bad run of noddy and that's why there are new packs and old packs. My brew store is still selling old packs and I avoid them even as i love this yeast. If your store doesn't turn product it could be an old bad packet???

My lhbs still sells them for $1.99 in the new package. I only use it occasionally since I don't mind springing the extra $2 for US-05.

The two times I used Nottingham my results were way less than desirable. I wish it worked out better because everyone seems to like it so much.

I have never had a problem with Notty. I usually keep it on hand for emergency or just for a Pale Ale style.

I think it was just a specific lot or two of bad packets but frankly it has scared me off. I bottle and it's a lot of work wasted if it gets messed up...

Back