Starter... Only have LME... How much to use for a gallon growler?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

britishbloke

Reaction score
I already have saved some of the spend yeast and washed it.
That adds up to around a half liter of wort.

I dont have any more DME left. Can I use LME? How much for a growler to get a good starter going?:fro:

heck... 1.037 and you'll have yourself some pale ale after 4 days!! HAH! Try like 1/4 of that and you'll still get a very reasonably sized starter.

sirsloop said:
heck... 1.037 and you'll have yourself some pale ale after 4 days!! HAH! Try like 1/4 of that and you'll still get a very reasonably sized starter.
You sure about this?
From Palmer:
" . . .you will make up a starter wort. Boil a pint (1/2 quart) of water and stir in 1/2 cup of DME. This will produce a starter of about 1.040 OG."

We're talking massive differences in volume here. Sure in a 1/2 quart, a half cup is 1.040. Thats around what I make. He's talking about growler!! Thats an enormous starter.

sirsloop said:
We're talking massive differences in volume here. Sure in a 1/2 quart, a half cup is 1.040. Thats around what I make. He's talking about growler!! Thats an enormous starter.

If the growler holds 1 gallon, I'd say he wants about half to 2/3 gallon of starter wort.

1/2 gallon + 8.65 oz (by weight) LME = 1.040

2/3 gallon + 11.53 oz (by weight) LME = 1.040

Back