Pacman from Rogue brews?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlyGuy

Reaction score
I could only find one partial thread on this subject, and it didn't seem that this was resolved.

The site below suggests that a number of Rogue beers will have live Pacman yeast in them:

http://www.nada.kth.se/~alun/Beer/Bottle-Yeasts/ (scroll down to the Rogue entry)

Since pacman yeast isn't available anymore from Wyeast, I am wondering if it would be possible to culture some from the dregs at the bottom of a Shakespeare Stout or Mocha Porter.

Has anyone tried this, or can anyone confirm the article above (it is pretty dated)?

try capturing the yeast, propagating it, and make a small batch to see if it performs as expected. . . that way, you're not out much. If it works to your liking, brew big with it.

You can still find pacman around if you search. I ordered some on Tuesday and my local homebrew shop sais they still had a few in stock yesterday.

The only time I've ever successfully harvested yeast from a bottle was from a wit, and even then, it was from a local brewery that doesn't pasteurize their bottles and needs constant refrigeration. And also, I'm not sure whether they use Pacman to bottle-condition their beers. Lots of breweries use bastard strains to BC rather than their normal strains.

Evan! said:
Lots of breweries use bastard strains to BC rather than their normal strains.

Exactly what I was thinking, too. I would be interested to hear if anyone has tried culturing it before I expend the effort.

But if it is still available, I guess I will call around a bit. Liquid yeast is hard to get in Canada, though, so I am not hopeful...

Latest posts

Back