Grain weight

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyzo

Reaction score
OK, so I'm asking someone to help me out real quick. I was all excited to brew today, and have all the ingredients, but I go to weigh out some of the stuff, and I cant find my scale (my brew closet is like the Bermuda triangle), and theres alot of small scale stuff in the recipe so I dont wanna screw it up (like 2ozs and 3ozs of ingredients). So can anyone weigh out a cup of grains and tell me how much they weigh? I'd estimate somewhere around 3-4oz of grains to a cup, but im not sure.

Thanks

I'm guessing not all grains will weigh the same, so it's not really possible to give you that kind of answer. Grab a cup of jello or something that has a weight on it and try to match up the weight of the grain to that. It's not gonna kill you to be a small amt off. Or go buy a dirt cheap analog scale from walmart real fast.

I get 4.2oz per cup. 8.5oz per 2 cups. Edit: this is for 2-row.

Alright thanks so much, thats exactly what i needed. I figure different types of grains should weight roughly the same, and the amount that they are off shouldnt make a big deal.

Back