Dumb n00b Question on "Keezers"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glenn514

Reaction score
OK, friends and brewers, I give up! I certainly understand a kegerator. I had one years ago to serve commercial beers...mostly Leinenkugel's. But the entire concept of a "keezer" mystifies me. Doesn't a freezer get cold enough to FREEZE? Why, then, would you want to lager beer in one, or use it to hold your kegs for serving? Could someone please explain the concept of a "keezer" and how you keep it from freezing the beer? I'd sure appreciate it!

glenn514:mug:

We use temperature controllers. Instead of plugging the freezer into the wall, you plug it into the temperature controller. Controller plugs into the wall, and has a temp probe in the freezer. When the keezer gets warm, the controller "Plugs the freezer in" until it reaches the set temperature. Then it "unplugs the freezer"

Search the forums for "Ranco" or "Love", and you'll have plenty to read.

What SS said. We replace the stock thermostat with one that allows us to set an operating temperature to one useful to us whereas the sock one is only adjustable with a range of freezing temperatures.

Chest freezers hold more kegs and are easier to get things in and out of. Also easier to build a collar to get beer lines out of the keezer.

Thanks, gang! I truly appreciate the education! And it all makes excellent sense!

glenn514:mug:

Back