belma recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turvis

Reaction score
I am going to do a pale this weekend and wanted some feedback on my recipe.

11 lbs Vienna malt
6 oz crystal 40
6 oz cara foam
About 1.056 SG

.75 oz belma at 15 mins
.50 oz centennial 10 mins
.75 oz belma 5 mins
.50 oz centennial 5 mins
1 oz belma flame out
1 oz centennial flame out
2 oz belma dry hop
1 oz centennial dry hop
33 IBU

Ferment with 04 dry English ale yeast at 62

I think you are going to want a low AA bittering addition at 60 min. You aren't going to get much bitterness to balance out the malt without it.

Maybe just 0.5-1.0 oz of a noble hop @ 60 - saaz or hallertau are very neutral and won't add much besides a smooth bitterness.

I think you are going to want a low AA bittering addition at 60 min. You aren't going to get much bitterness to balance out the malt without it.

Maybe just 0.5-1.0 oz of a noble hop @ 60 - saaz or hallertau are very neutral and won't add much besides a smooth bitterness.

Why use 2 oz. of a low AA hop at 60 when you could get the same bitterness from say 0.75 oz. of a high AA hop at 60?

I would say to bitter with a high alpha American hop; especially because this is an American Ale. It's more to style an you will need less of it due to the higher AA. Also, I would recommend shifting all of your late hop additions to 10 or 5 minutes in one large addition. This will help you to manage your IBUs, ease any harsh bitternes, and provide more flavorful & aromatic hop character.

I think 33 IBU will have plenty of bitterness for the starting gravity. I might work with moving the hop additions up. I am a little more concerned about having enough residual sweetness with mostly Vienna malt. I haven't done a mostly Vienna malt beer yet.

Latest posts

Back