First Time Using A Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Foley

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to brew a German Heffe. I bought the White Labs yeast and made a starter last night. One pint of water and 1/2 cup DME 10 min boil, cool to room temp, pitch yeat to starter. After 24 hours there is no sign of activity, is this normal. I plan to use it tomorrow. Thanks.

it needs oxygen. shake that sucker. every 10 minutes, grab it and give it a good spin. you should see some activity, usually just a krausen or the leavings of one.

yeah i always aerate wort in my brews and starters, the yeast love oxygen but dont open the bottle and shake. after youve pitched its bad to oxygenate the wort with outside air. risk of contamination.

my starters usually take a few days before i see any real activity. as long as some krausen is starting to form and you get some airlock bubbles its well on its way and probably good to pitch.

Back