imperial stout suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thejiro

Reaction score
Here is the recipie i just came up with for my imperial stout im looking for a balanced flavor between roasty and chocolatey with a nice rye character. any tips and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

16lbs pale 2 row malt US
3lbs flakes barley
3lbs chocolate malt 420L
3lbs chocolate rye 250L
3lbs roasted barley 300L

Mash in at 154F for 60 mins then mash out at 168F for 10 mins

90 minute boil
3oz columbus 90min
1oz wilamette 20min
1oz wilamette 10min
1oz wilamette 5min
1oz wilamette flame out

extended age on cocoa nibs, vanilla beans, oaxacan pasilla and medium toasted french oak aged in whisky.

estimated og 1.109

Its such a massive recipe with so much going on that its hard to give feedback... its going to be either really amazing or really nasty lol no inbetweens with something like that. Make sure to post back if you do brew it

So from what I've researched and seen as of today I have changed the recipie up a little bit

the grist bill is now

20lb pale 2 row
1.5lb chocolate rye
1.5lb chocolate malt 420L
1.5lb flaked barley
1.5lb black barley

same mash schedule and hop schedule.

any input would be great.

TIA
ken

If your unsure about it, why not just look up an imperial stout recipe out of the recipe database, and modify it with the flavorings you want. There are several. Or you can make the recipe, and then post it if it worked well.

Thejiro said:
Bump no one has any critiques or suggestions for this recipe?

I think with all of that dark malt you are going to need some crystal malt to balance it. As it is, I think it's going to be overly roasty and likely a bit acrid.

Back