AHS IPA directions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jay415

Reaction score
I am brewing an all grain AHS IPA this sunday and after reading the directions that came with the kit, they seem a little generic with the ingredients just filled in. What I want to know is if I should use a single infusion mash at 150 like the directions say or kick it up to 153-154 like I see I many IPA recipes? Or does it not matter? I am new to all grain. This is only my second all grain. And if anyone wants to chime in to make this recipe better (not that I think it's gonna be bad as is) The recipe is as follows:

10.75 lb. 2 row
1 lb. Crystal 60
.25 lb. Special B

Single infusion mash 60 min at 150

1 oz. Columbus - 60 min
1 oz. Cascade - 15 min
1 oz. Cascade - 5 min

I would personally leave the mash temp at 150F. The lower temp will give you a drier beer in the end, which I prefer. Generally speaking, lower mash temps (148-150 ish) and longer rest times (90 min.) will yield a drier, more fermentable beer. Higher mash temps (153-154) with a 60 min. rest will cause your beer to have more body and fewer fermentable sugars. So it's really personal preference. I'd say stick with the recipe until you feel comfortable manipulating the mash temps and creating your own recipes.

Either way I think this looks like a good tasting IPA. If I were making it and I wanted to find a way to give it a little extra hop flavor, I'd dry-hop with another 1 oz. of cascade during the last week of your fermentation...

Have a great brew day!

Sounds good, Then I will stick to the recipe as is and see how I like it. My first all grain I did at 154 and I thought the finished beer tasted a little too sweet.. finished at 1.016...So it's nice to know how to adjust recipes to my tastes, Thanks

Ya, leave it at 150. With 1lb of Crystal and some Special B you have enough unfermentables. You don't want it to become too sweet.

Back