Hard Lemonade

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This has been requested many times, but I haven't been able to find my original recipe. This is a recreation from my notes.

3 gallon recipe

7 cans lemonade concentrate (without sorbate)
4-4.5 pounds sugar (1.5 pounds of sugar per gallon)
3 tsp yeast energizer
3 tsp yeast nutrient
3 campden tablets
Wine yeast (any works fine)

Sg should be in the range of 1.070-1.100. Use less sugar for a lower ABV, but don't go under 1.060.

This is a tough ferment, due to the high acidity of the lemonade. So, I recommend a yeast starter. A good way to do this is to start your must and then use some of it to make the starter.

Thaw the lemonade and put 1/2 in primary. Boil a gallon of water and dissolve the sugar (start with 3 pounds and add more later if needed). Add to the primary. Stir well, and top up to 3 gallons. Take out two cups of this must and put in a large bowl or measuring cup. Add a pinch of yeast nutrient and yeast energizer and put the remainder of the nutrient and energizer in the must. Make sure the temperature of the must in the starter vessel is 70-80 degrees, and add the yeast. When it's foamy, add a bit more of the must. Do this about 3-4 times by just adding more must a little at a time. Then, add the rest of the thawed lemonade and the crushed campden tablets to the primary and stir well. Check the OG and add more sugar if desired to raise the SG (but don't go over 1.100) Continue adding must to the starter, a little at a time, until the yeast starter is still looking foamy and going well, in about two days, and then pour the yeast starter into the primary. During primary, cover with a clean towel and stir frequently. After about 5-7 days, or when the SG reaches 1.030, pour into secondary and airlock. This will finish dry, so you can sweeten to taste if you'd like by adding unfermentable sweetners, or by stabilizing and then backsweetening. My experience is that this tastes best around 1.020. I actually siphoned it out of the carboy and into pitchers when it was in the 1.010- 1.020 range.
Bottle in beer bottles or soda bottles, carbonate if desired, or keg.

I liked the OG at 1.080, at the start after all ingredients are added.

i have a lemon tree and i want to use the lemons for some hard lemonaid but everyones using concentrate. Any idea how i would adapt this? i dont know how many lemons equal a can of concentrate

Well, if you juiced the lemons, you'd have the basics. I'm not sure how much sugar you'd need, though, since that concentrate is loaded with sugar. I'd juice the lemons and add sugar to get to 1.080 (or lower if you wanted less ABV) and make a yeast starter (since lemons are so acidic).

Of course, this is all just my opinion, since I've never done it.

any idea how many lemons though? thats where i get stuck. i guess worst comes to worst i could always add more water if its too strong right?

Right- I mean, just juice the lemons until you have a gallon of juice, I guess. I'd probably make a one gallon batch first, just to make sure it worked before you try a bigger batch.

dang i just posted a question on your grape wine but i saw this and think id rather make it instead. what do you use to ferment this in? all i have is some bucked and and 6.5 and 5 gallon carboys

dang i just posted a question on your grape wine but i saw this and think id rather make it instead. what do you use to ferment this in? all i have is some bucked and and 6.5 and 5 gallon carboys

I use a bucket with a cloth over it, then put it in a carboy for secondary. It is nice to use a similar sized vessel in secondary- so you could use the 5 gallon carboy for secondary for a 5 gallon batch.

This looks amazing and Id love to give it a try. I just have a few quick questions--

What temperature do you recommend fermenting it at? I cant really maintain anythign lower than 70 degrees F right now but I in about a month once it cools off Ill be able to do that.

In your opinion is it better carbonated or uncarbed?

Is there a non-fermentable sugar you could recommend for sweetening it.

Edit: Also, what sugar do you normally use? Granulated white sugar or dextrose (corn sugar)??

Thanks!

I'm going to make a small 2 gallon batch of this. You said it tastes best in the 1.010-1.020 range. Is there any way to control stopping it at this point? I've heard (I think by you) that even with potassium sorbate, it's difficult to stop this fermentation. I'd also like to carb some, so that also presents problems with the sorbate. Should I just let it ferment out and backsweeten if necessary (with splenda I assume?)

I'm going to make a small 2 gallon batch of this. You said it tastes best in the 1.010-1.020 range. Is there any way to control stopping it at this point? I've heard (I think by you) that even with potassium sorbate, it's difficult to stop this fermentation. I'd also like to carb some, so that also presents problems with the sorbate. Should I just let it ferment out and backsweeten if necessary (with splenda I assume?)

I think it's hard to stop fermentation once it gets going. You might be able to stick it in the fridge, so that the yeast goes dormant, and then use the campden and sorbate. I don't know that will work, but it might.

I just let it finish up, and then stabilize. If you're planning on carbonating some, I guess splenda would be the way to go (and of course, no sorbate).

I didn't see the earlier post about the sugar, sorry about that! Please let me know if you still have questions.

I think it's hard to stop fermentation once it gets going. You might be able to stick it in the fridge, so that the yeast goes dormant, and then use the campden and sorbate. I don't know that will work, but it might.

I just let it finish up, and then stabilize. If you're planning on carbonating some, I guess splenda would be the way to go (and of course, no sorbate).

I didn't see the earlier post about the sugar, sorry about that! Please let me know if you still have questions.

so about non-fermentable sugar... anything else i could use insted of splenda or is that my only option?

SWMBO asked me to make a small batch of this so I set out with a 1 gallon batch, but rushed it a little. I only had the starter going for 12hrs before pitching because it seemed to be doing so well and I was going to be too busy to deal with it after that. It has been 4 days now and no signs of fermentation plus a whole bunch of yeast is at sediment at the bottom. I used montrachet since I had it laying around. I know this is going to have a slow start, but I want to make sure I shouldn't make a new starter before it is too late or something...

SWMBO asked me to make a small batch of this so I set out with a 1 gallon batch, but rushed it a little. I only had the starter going for 12hrs before pitching because it seemed to be doing so well and I was going to be too busy to deal with it after that. It has been 4 days now and no signs of fermentation plus a whole bunch of yeast is at sediment at the bottom. I used montrachet since I had it laying around. I know this is going to have a slow start, but I want to make sure I shouldn't make a new starter before it is too late or something...

I don't know. You could try swirling it up a little, to see if that helps. Maybe check the SG to determine if it's simply slow, or stuck. It might just be going so slow you don't see much going on. If you shake it up, do you see any bubbles coming up through it?

I don't know. You could try swirling it up a little, to see if that helps. Maybe check the SG to determine if it's simply slow, or stuck. It might just be going so slow you don't see much going on. If you shake it up, do you see any bubbles coming up through it?

Checked gravity and there have been no changes, I gave it a swirl earlier, didn't notice any bubbles either. Hopefully some activity starts soon.

Wondering how long this needs to age or if its drinkable right away.

Drinkable right away. I hate to admit it, but I siphoned a few pitchers out of the carboy when it was around 1.020 and stuck them in the fridge. I ended up having to rack to a 3 gallon carboy to reduce the headspace!

Just pulled a sample after a couple weeks. OG 1.072 SG 0.994 - 10.19% ABV. Seems high, but both sets of my notes show the same OG. I sweetened the sample up and it has a slight burnt rubber taste otherwise it is pretty good. Will the taste go away as the yeast drops out of suspension more?

Looks like the burnt rubber taste has been figured out thanks to HBT chat. I used Montrachet yeast which has a tendency to produce large amounts of H2S when stressed. The high acid environment probably caused the burnt rubber flavoring. I guess a new batch is in order using a different yeast.

Does anyone know if Red Star Pasteur Champagne Wine Yeast produces H2S when stressed like Montrachet? I think I might try another batch with that. Or do you have a recommended yeast Yooper?

VAWA Winemaking Techniques, Hydrogen Sulfide

Just as an FYI, I used a D47 and I did nothing special on the starter besides 30 minutes in warm water. It took about a week before bubbles showed up, and the fermentation over the last 4 weeks has been consistent but not over active.

I expect to bottle next week, with an update then.

I made a 3 gallon batch of hard lemonade last summer and used D-47. It took it's time to start and fermented dry to finish. I added 375ml of Lemoncello which we had made earlier in the year. This kicked up the ABV and the final product was bottled into PET bottles after it cleared some. We consumed it straight after chilling and also added some Sprite to add some carbonation to it. It is a wonderful beverage for summer time coolers and I will be making another 3 gallons soon.

If you want, you can use a keg and force carb it. Or add some corn sugar to it and then bottle, but I would be very careful you do not create bottle bombs.

Some variations to this would be to add Lime, Orange or maybe even Raspberry juices to your recipes.

Salute! :mug:

Edit: Mike's Hard Lemonade doesn't even come close to a good batch of this stuff.

I'm thinking of making some of this soon. I was wondering what kind of suger you use? I also remember reading somewhere about using some DME also. Any suggestions?

I'm thinking of making some of this soon. I was wondering what kind of suger you use? I also remember reading somewhere about using some DME also. Any suggestions?

I just use plain table sugar. I've heard that others use some DME for the "malt flavor" but I never have so I don't know anything about it.

I made up a three-gallon batch of this yesterday. Well, I guess I'm still in the process of making it since I'm slowly adding the must to my starter. I used 2 lbs. sugar and 12 oz DME and came out with a SG of 1.091! My starter is going well. I used Yooper's method of starting with a diluted lemonade solution and added some of it a little at a time. When I got home this afternoon, the starter had a nice big head on it. I'm starting to add the full strength must now. I'll keep doing this several times for the next day or so then add the starter to the must.

I would like to carbonat this when I bottle. Does anyone have any idea how much primer to use?

Thanks for the recipe and process write-up Yooper! I'll keep posting with the progress.

I just transferred my 3 gallon batch to secondary. Gravity was at 1.030, but the taste was not very good. I don't know if I used too much DME or what. I'm a bit disappointed. Live and learn, right.

anyone carb this in bottles? could i use priming sugar if so how much for each bottle will probably bottle in 750ml

I would carb it at about 1 ounce (by weight) per gallon. If you carbonate it, make sure you use bottles that can hold pressure along with crown caps. You could also bottle it in plastic soda bottles, as they hold pressure.

I've never added sugar to bottles individually, so I don't know how much to put in each bottle. I bulk prime it.

anyone carb this in bottles? could i use priming sugar if so how much for each bottle will probably bottle in 750ml

using sucrose (table sugar) for a almost champagne-like carb I would use 1 tsp per 350ml, for more relaxed cider-lioke carb use 3/4 tsp per 350 ml bottle. for corn sugar I don't know.

I started a batch of this on 4/30, and added the starter to primary on the second or third (can't remember which) of May... After a couple days of lag, it's still fermenting strong. I got scared for a little bit because the starter was going like crazy but there was nothing for 36-48 hours after I pitched it. But I was patient and it picked up and hasn't slowed down. I used Lalvin EC-1118 Champagne yeast because I figured it could handle the alcohol. OG was 1.081 or so... can't wait to see how it turns out! I just got a kegging system and I'm planning on letting it ferment out, backsweetening, and then force carbonating as the first thing I put in my keg. Thanks for posting this recipe, because I've been kicking around the idea of a hard lemonade for a while but hadn't even considered concentrate.... :D

Well, I am wondering about repitching :( I did a starter as yooper suggested, starting at 1L and 3 steps up to 2.5L, using Lavlin 71B-1122 on a stir plate. I waited until there was a small layer of foam (after stopping the stir plate for an hour) before stepping up.

I pitched 72 hours ago, hit the must with some O2. It is maintained @ 70-72*. There is no activity in the airlock.

Only difference from the recipe is that is is 4 gal w/ 3# sugar (1.090) and I didn't have the yeast energizer( yes, I had the nutrient). My LHBS should have it today.

So, if I want to repitch, would I take make up a couple of quarts of the same (Minute Maid) lemonade and go from there?

Well, I am wondering about repitching :( I did a starter as yooper suggested, starting at 1L and 3 steps up to 2.5L, using Lavlin 71B-1122 on a stir plate. I waited until there was a small layer of foam (after stopping the stir plate for an hour) before stepping up.

I pitched 72 hours ago, hit the must with some O2. It is maintained @ 70-72*. There is no activity in the airlock.

Only difference from the recipe is that is is 4 gal w/ 3# sugar (1.090) and I didn't have the yeast energizer( yes, I had the nutrient). My LHBS should have it today.

So, if I want to repitch, would I take make up a couple of quarts of the same (Minute Maid) lemonade and go from there?

Maybe there is no activity in the airlock, but I'd check the SG before making a new starter. Sometimes these ferments go along with no visible indication at all, except that one day it's fermented out. Check the SG today, and then check it again in two days. If it's still the same, then you may have to repitch. don't forget to keep stirring the must, because the aeration is really good for it at this point. Once it gets to about 1.020 or so, you can airlock and stop stirring.

Thanks Yoop. I just checked it. 1.090, same as start date :( . I have some O2 and a .2 micro stone, so I might hit it and give it a couple more days.

I set a carboy of Pale Ale that is finishing up next to it - maybe it will get the idea :)

Does anyone know if I would have a problem using regular lemonade (made per directions on concentrate can) to backsweeten after I stabilize? I tasted it when I moved to secondary the other night after hitting 1.020, and it tasted really good... except for an overwhelming alcoholic nose and flavour. Will this dissipate at all as fermentation continues? If not, I was thinking of diluting with lemonade to add sweetness and more lemon flavour to make it more palatable. I couldn't see any reason why I shouldn't use this method, but thought I would ask on here first... Thoughts, warnings?

What I don't get is why you only put a towel over the primary, and are you using a bucket or glass carboy for this part? Also is the yeast added 2 days later? Thanks

Does anyone know if I would have a problem using regular lemonade (made per directions on concentrate can) to backsweeten after I stabilize? I tasted it when I moved to secondary the other night after hitting 1.020, and it tasted really good... except for an overwhelming alcoholic nose and flavour. Will this dissipate at all as fermentation continues? If not, I was thinking of diluting with lemonade to add sweetness and more lemon flavour to make it more palatable. I couldn't see any reason why I shouldn't use this method, but thought I would ask on here first... Thoughts, warnings?

It should be ok to sweeten with whatever you'd like after you stabilize it.

What I don't get is why you only put a towel over the primary, and are you using a bucket or glass carboy for this part? Also is the yeast added 2 days later? Thanks

I usually primary most wines and ciders in a bucket, so that I can stir frequently.

Lemonade is a bugger to start, that's why I explain about the yeast starter and adding the starter to the must later. The super high acidity is a hostile environment to yeast, so the bit yeast starter (mixing up the must and diluting it for the starter) is crucial.

Back