Rhubarb wine 1 gallon recipie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scorpien222

Reaction score
1.5kg rhubarb
1.3kg sugar
250ml white grape juice concentrate
1 sachet general purpose white wine yeast (I used Champaign yeast)
1 tsp yeast nutrient

Wash the rhubarb, then chop finely into 6mm lengths. Place in a sterilised, food grade bucket and stir in the sugar. Cover with a lid or a clean tea towel and leave for three days. I forgot mine for a week and it started to go a bit mouldy on top – not that it seems to have done any harm.

Crush the pulp with the end of a rolling pin then stir in three litres of boiled but cooled water. Strain through sterilised muslin into another clean bucket, add the grape juice concentrate and make it up to 4.5 litres with more water. Add the yeast (activate it if necessary first) and the yeast nutrient.

Cover and leave for a week. Siphon into a clean demijohn and add a bubble trap.

After three or four weeks "rack off" into another demijohn (this disposes of the muddy stuff at the bottom which can taint the wine). Any shortfall should be made up with a sugar syrup made from boiled water, three parts, to sugar, one part, and allowed to cool.

When all fermentation has stopped siphon into clean bottles. It is ready immediately though patience may have its reward.

Enjoy.

Justin.

I have now aged a few bottles of this and it's getting better and better :)

When you stir in the sugar with the rhubarb, did you add water? How much?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

When you stir in the sugar with the rhubarb, did you add water? How much?

Hi bonia no you don't need to add any water when you mix the sugar and rhubarb the sugar extracts liquid from the rhubarb you will be surprise how much comes out :)

Back