2 questions 1 post

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nealie

Reaction score
There is a high probability that I will be coming into some hop rizhomes in the near future. Unfortunately I live in a less than ideal climate (Tucson, AZ) and living situation (apartment) to grow. I'm looking for advice to deal with both problems, perhaps simultaneously.

1-- How will hops do in southern AZ? Can I expect any to survive past June? Will they be washed out and diseased in monsoon season? I figure I'm already past planting time so they wouldn't be in-ground until next January most likely.

2-- For a space-limited apartment dweller, what is the minimum footprint for a hops garden? Could it be done on a sunny porch? Should I ask my upstairs neighbors if they mind a trellis to their balcony?

Subsequently, does anyone know how hops will react to a transplant? Being a student means having a relatively transient existence and I'd love it if my hops could move with me without any major shock.

use a half wine barrel for the pot and you should be fine methinks. you should still be able to plant this spring since rhizomes aren;t available till march/april anyway

For mrkristofo, the question about transplants was more about moving the whole plant rather than a root cutting. If/when I move would it be possible to swap out the whole plant (probably cutting off most of the upper vine growth) rather than starting all over again from a rhizome?

eriktlupus: Good recommendation on the wine barrel. My concern about the planting time is based on the local climate. Since rhizomes come in april and 100-degree days start in mid-May, I'd be worried about having temp and water stress on the plants at such an early stage.

Hops die back to the root every year, so no big deal there. A barrel is ok (probably better that the all-natural concrete that passes for soil in Tucson), but it will need frequent watering.

Tucson's weather isn't much harsher than the weather in the Yakima, WA area. Hot, dry & sunny is what hops like.

Back