Bottling and storage of Kombucha (long term)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

its_manbearpig

Reaction score
Hey everybody,

I've been thinking about making kombucha off and on for several years. The entire process sounds weird and fun which is why it has so much appeal to me.

For Christmas, my mother-in-law gave me a kit. She's excited to try it because of the purported health benefits.

However, before I send in for my Scoby there is one last question I have to answer.

I'm concerned about bottle bombs and storing my kombucha - I plan on using glass bottles from my beer brewing and capping them just like with beer or cider. From what I have read, after bottling the kombucha needs to be kept in the refrigerator to reduce the chance of bottle bombs. But, I can envision my fridge eventually filling up with too many bottles of kombucha. I don't like the idea of being forced to drink more kombucha than I want to drink to make room for the next batch.

I'd like to treat this much like my beer - keep the extra at room temperature and keep only a few bottles in the fridge at a time for when I want to have some.

Would I be able to pasteurize the bottled kombucha like I do with some of my ciders? I want to drink to enjoy it, not to make room for the next batch.

Do you have any advice for me, Homebrewtalkers?

One of the things that I found when I first started brewing Kombucha was that I never had enough of it! If you typically brew in a one gallon jar, like most kits, once you set aside your scoby and 1-2 cups of brewed kombucha for the next batch, you will only have about 5-7 bottles (depending on the size). I secondary ferment in 16oz bottles, so I only get about 5 bottles and a little extra that I usually just drink right away. Depending on your tea and temperature, it takes 7-14 days until you have a new batch to bottle. I drink one of the 16oz a day, which means I have a 5 day supply, if I hoard it and don't let anyone else have any. So, my point is, you will never probably have too much. If you have too much, you can put your scoby in stasis by not making any. The batch will turn to kombucha vinegar, but you can remove the scoby and a small amount of the liquid and start again when you are ready. Do not pasteurize it, unless you don't care about the live yeast and bacteria that give you the health benefits.

ps. I make 4 batches at a time now!

Thanks to everybody for replying!

I don't think I'll have to worry about pasteurizing.

Judging by the size of the jar, I don't think I'll wind up making too much. I might even have to do a second jar if other people really like it.

Thanks to cowan322... I didn't realize it was as easy as leaving a scoby alone if I wanted to slow down.

My new scoby arrived in the mail and is on day 6 in the tea. Everything seems fine!

Back