CO2 Refill - Tampa Area?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone know of a place that'll do exchanges? Just picked up a kegerator over the weekend. Not sure what shape the tank is in (seems kinda old and beatup) so I'd rather just swap it for a new one.

Pinellas Pasco Welding Supply off Hercules will switch out your tank and give you a nice aluminum one if you tell them it is for your kegerator. Open M-F only.

I bring mine to All Florida Fire Equipment in St. Petersburg right off Haines Rd and 31st Street. They filled my tank for $15.

I have used Pinellas Pasco many times and B-21. I think the filled 5# tanks from Pinellas Pasco are better because they are filled professionally and at B-21 they don't get as much in the tanks. They always ask me to bring it in cold because then they can get more CO2 in them. It is the cheapest around though, but a real drive if you don't live near them.

Are the 5# tank refills still roughly $16 at crumpton's? They seem to be the best route for me.

Pasco is too much of a drive just to save that much. I'm at the airbase so keeping it close is best for me.

phatspade - why not do a swap at Southern? It is just as close as Ybor, if not closer to you and you can get your HB supplies too. They're cheaper then anything online and you support local business. I swapped my 15 pound tank yesterday for $23.

I just exchanged a 20lb out of date tank at Airgas on Tampa West Blvd (on Anderson Blvd a half mile south of Waters Ave) for $72 total. $29.60 for the gas and $36.34 for the test.

I use Crumpton Welding Supply. Their 5# swap is a bit pricey at $17, but they will swap a 10# for $18. Make sense no? Good deal? Yes! I was there about 2 months ago. They will also trade your tank up for a little over $20 to a 10#. I haven't made the switch yet but will when I am out of gas.

I went to crumpton's and got a 10# tank since refills are more cost effective. I wish I asked why it was so cheap, but I'm just happy that it was $140 for the bottle filled and never have to worry about recerts.

I went to crumpton's and got a 10# tank since refills are more cost effective. I wish I asked why it was so cheap, but I'm just happy that it was $140 for the bottle filled and never have to worry about recerts.

$140? Am I missing something here?

Making feel like I'm gonna have a "doh" moment. To me it seemed reasonable compared to getting a tank online and shipped empty. This tank was already filled and that was after tax. Ill mark it as a lesson learned.

Old thread, but it's at the top of the search engines so I thought I'd update for any others, like me, that are struggling to find CO2 in Tampa.

A1 (Ybor) does it, but good luck getting in touch with them.

Southern and Booths only do exchanges

Tri-Tech was purchased by Airgas

The good news is that several Ace Hardware stores, including the one in Lithia, offer them for a decent price. I was quoted $18.99 for a 20LB tank. Taking my 5 over there now and will return with a price.

Just paid $20.54 after tax for the 5# tank refill, so I'm guessing either a) they weren't sure how to price it or b) $20 is the standard tank refill cost.

hey guys, just joining in to subscribe for updates. New brewer in St. Pete. Not kegging yet but I have a feeling I will be before too long.

I've been to this thread before, but I thought I'd post my recent experiences & see if I could drum up more.

Crumptons in Ybor is around $18 out the door to swap a 5# tank.
Southern Brewing & Winemaking is around $24 to swap a 5# tank. I'd rather go here, to support a local homebrew shop.

I'm looking for somewhere in Clearwater, because I work over here, on US19 near Curlew. Both shops above are east of where I live & if I can get a fill or swap done during the day, it's less time I spend driving around, usually in rush-hour traffic.

Delta, AirGas on 49th isn't too far from you. Exchanges for about $18 for 5#. I have a 20# tank, and it's only $28 for 20#, which makes it very economical.

Delta, AirGas on 49th isn't too far from you. Exchanges for about $18 for 5#. I have a 20# tank, and it's only $28 for 20#, which makes it very economical.
Yeah--I'm just about centered between there & A-1 in Tarpon Springs. I'll probably be going to AirGas in an hour or so. :mug:

I read somewhere that B21 in north Tarpon on US19 either fills or swaps, but it was an old thread. Might even be this one

I read somewhere that B21 in north Tarpon on US19 either fills or swaps, but it was an old thread. Might even be this one
I used to have my 5# filled there, back when I lived in Pinellas & cared to keep my own tank.

I ended up going to AirGas on 49th. It was $22.41 OTD for a swap.

Anyone in the Tampa/St. Pete area have a good location to get tanks refilled? I recently had a 5# refilled at Crumpton's Welding Supply in Tampa, and they charged $16! Damn.

Hi, I just wanted to update the info... As of 4/16/2015, I had a 20# exchanged at Crumptons for $26.07 including all taxes and fees. The bonus is that is was even slightly overfull. The last time I got a 5# filled at beverage castle, they under filled me by 2 pounds and still charged me for the full 5 pounds.

Thanks!

West Bay Supply, Inc.‎
8080 Ulmerton Rd # 1A
Largo
(727) 532-9093

They re-fill a 5# for about $16-$18. A little closer to Palm Harbor maybe.

Still getting my refills here. Easy in, easy out. I think my last one was about this same price.

Ace welding supply it's located on Nebraska Ave just south of 131st. If you pay in cash 20lb for 21 bucks that's the cheapest I've found in the bay area.

The last time I got a 5# filled at beverage castle, they under filled me by 2 pounds and still charged me for the full 5 pounds

Wow, underfilling by 40%? I think that'd be grounds for a lawsuit!

on 41 just south of the crosstown (For those in Brandon/Riverview area)

Praxair does a 5 lb exchange for $19.50 after tax

I use tackle shack, but have been looking into that fact that I should be using beverage grade co2 for consumption. I called tackle shack and they could not tell me the quality of their co2 or where they get it from.

I use a company called All Florida Fire Equipment. They charge $15.00 for a 5# swap. They are right off Haines rd and 62nd Ave in St. Pete.

Back