Few questions before I bottle....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

filmman03

Reaction score
I'm only a few days into fermentation but was thinking about the next steps already...

Reading what ppl are saying on here; I have to check the FG for a few days and if it stays the same its ready. I got that part but what about the krausen? Will it stay or subside?

Once fermentation is completed and I start the siphoning to the bottling bucket; how much priming sugar am I to use? I got some w/ my kit but not sure if I am to use the entire packet or a portion of it. The instructions only say to boil the sugar in 1 cup of water and then pour it in the bottling bucket and then transfer the beer on top of the sugar solution and mix gently.

Krausen will drop to the bottom. Don't worry about that. And don't feel like you have to rack and bottle immediately after fermentation is complete. Some extra time in the primary or secondary (I'm not going to start an argument for or against secondary - it's well documented and your choice) is good for your brew.

As far as the sugar, I don't know how much came with the kit, but if it is roughly a cup, it is probably a pre measured appropriate amount.

Krausen will drop to the bottom. Don't worry about that. And don't feel like you have to rack and bottle immediately after fermentation is complete. Some extra time in the primary or secondary (I'm not going to start an argument for or against secondary - it's well documented and your choice) is good for your brew.

As far as the sugar, I don't know how much came with the kit, but if it is roughly a cup, it is probably a pre measured appropriate amount.

ok cool. thanks :) now the instructions that came w/ my kit also said the following:

5. Airlock should be active within 24 hours, with fermentation slowing down
by the end of day 7, the clearing stage is beginning. Let clear for approx. 7
days.
6. When ready to bottle, boil priming sugar in approx. 1 cup water for 1 minute, add to bottom of bottling bucket, then siphon beer into the same bucket
(take final hydrometer reading while siphoning into bucket). Fill bottles to 1 “
from top of bottle and cap.
7. Store beer at 67 – 70 degrees for 7 – 10 days minimum.

So I'm hoping to get everything bottled in time for Christmas; however after reading several threads, I'm realizing that my fermentation and bottling times seem quite short compared to everyone else's.

In general, it seems that kits rush the timeline to get you to start a kit, finish it, and buy another. Don't pay attention to their timeline. Leave the brew in the bucket until the hydrometer readings stop changing. Then wait a little longer (actual time varies brew to brew). Then secondary if necessary. After you bottle, keep it in a location around 70*f for a few weeks (again - variation recipe to recipe, so you may have to sample one every few days to know when they are ready). After that, a couple days in the fridge and they are good.

Sadly, if you are only a couple days into fermentation, it may be tight getting it ready by Christmas. Again, times vary brew to brew.

I'm not sure of a good way to speed up the timeline. Maybe just bottle carbing, make sure you are at or above 70. Beer will still be green, but should carb faster.

1 week primary and then 2 weeks secondary. Or just 3 weeks primary(basically the same.) 3 weeks minimum for bottle aging before moving to the fridge. 3+ days in fridge before popping the first top. The priming sugar will be premeasured. Dump in what you got and go with it.

You CAN cheat a little and do shorter times on all, but I've found that my beers are getting better and better as I let them sit and ferment for longer and MUCH better when I let them bottle age longer. I've now got it to where everything sits in bottles for at LEAST 3 weeks before I even think about putting a few in the fridge.

GL to ya.

patience is not my strong-suit lol. also; I've never heard of this "clearing stage". I've only heard ppl talking about 2-3 weeks in primary and/or secondary. What exactly is this "clearing stage"? I did add in some Irish Moss at the last 15mins of boil, if that is what they mean by clearing.

Not sure what clearing stage is. Maybe just yeast dropping from suspension? I haven't heard that name before, but my guess is it is similar to a secondary being called a brite tank?

Out of curiosity, is the recipe from Adventures in Homebrewing? They are my LHBS and they have used that exact same wording in instructions. On the other hand, maybe there is a lot of plagiarism in homebrewing...

Not sure what clearing stage is. Maybe just yeast dropping from suspension? I haven't heard that name before, but my guess is it is similar to a secondary being called a brite tank?

Out of curiosity, is the recipe from Adventures in Homebrewing? They are my LHBS and they have used that exact same wording in instructions. On the other hand, maybe there is a lot of plagiarism in homebrewing...

yup its Adventures in Homebrewing

Ha. I feel like a pro. Really the wording only stuck with me because it reads like broken English.

Look, I am not going to suggest you cut corners based on anecdotal evidence, but my first brew was one of theirs ( the two hearted clone), and being new I was very impatient. I racked to secondary solely because I had a secondary and a racking cane. I don't even think primary was done. I was just excited. Then I bottled like a week later. Probably drank them way early too. Despite all that, they were fantastic. If you NEED them done by Christmas, you can time if so you have carbed beer on Christmas. However, it will benefit from patience. Your call; I'm not drinking it. Good luck.

Ha. I feel like a pro. Really the wording only stuck with me because it reads like broken English.

Look, I am not going to suggest you cut corners based on anecdotal evidence, but my first brew was one of theirs ( the two hearted clone), and being new I was very impatient. I racked to secondary solely because I had a secondary and a racking cane. I don't even think primary was done. I was just excited. Then I bottled like a week later. Probably drank them way early too. Despite all that, they were fantastic. If you NEED them done by Christmas, you can time if so you have carbed beer on Christmas. However, it will benefit from patience. Your call; I'm not drinking it. Good luck.

lol thanks for the advice. I don't need them for Christmas but I'm going to be driving to my parents and was hoping the beers would be far enough along that it would be a tasty treat for my family to enjoy.

also i'm sure it will probably be still a green beer but will it be fine to consume?

filmman03 said:
also i'm sure it will probably be still a green beer but will it be fine to consume?

Sorry not to respond. Yes, no harm in drinking them green. But it is a little like cashing in a savings bond before it matures. It doesn't hurt anything, but you can only drink it once, so the general consensus (on beer and savings bonds) is waiting for maturity is a good idea. Just DON'T drink any savings bonds. :)

Sorry not to respond. Yes, no harm in drinking them green. But it is a little like cashing in a savings bond before it matures. It doesn't hurt anything, but you can only drink it once, so the general consensus (on beer and savings bonds) is waiting for maturity is a good idea. Just DON'T drink any savings bonds. :)

ok cool. i can't freakin wait!

just hope all goes well in these last few steps.

Back