Brewing an IPA extract.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IPAGuy420

Reaction score
I just got a kit in the mail today and am learning a great deal about brewing. I LOVE dogfish 60 min, hopdevil, hop wallop... Ect. Any ideas on how to make my beer taste like these? Or what i would have to get to make it similar? Thank you! Looking forward to hearing from someone!

image-462366271.jpg

IPA are fairly simple... Use beer calculus from hopville's website. Stick with some kits from Austin home brew or northern brewer until you get confidence I design your own. I've never had a bad kit from either one of them

Order a quality IPA kit to start. I'd recommend Midwest, Northern Brewer, or Austin Homebrew Supply. These should give you a good starting point. Beyond this, search the forums and keep reading as much about brewing as you can.

Make sure everything that touches your cooled/cooling wort is sanitary, aerate well, and ferment at the low end of your yeast strain's temp range. There are infinite variations to the process that will produce great beer, but these are paramount to getting clean tasting brews.

If I read correctly you already have your kit bought....so you can follow the instructions given I'm assuming

First off sanitizing is huge. Keep everything sanitized with some sort of product like star san etc. Also, wash your hands constantly while brewing just for good meausre. This is just to make sure your beer does not get infections

Make sure to have a thermometer and timer so that you can be accurate doing your boil/additions of hops etc.

Also, make sure you ferment in an environment thats temperature is in the low to mid 60's. This will have a huge effect on the quality of the beer.

Dry hop with great aroma hops....this will add nice aroma to the IPA

Finally, BE PATIENT AND LET THE BEER DO ITS THING

Thank you everyone ive been a bartender for 6 years in a restraunt ive worked my whole life so im good at sanitary. I am itching to start but i am scared ill screw it up or something. Do you all think i should go directly by the instructions provided? It is a northern kit.

I say GO FOR IT! Chances are your first brew day won't go perfectly, mine definitely didn't despite reading a ton of info and watching youtube vids, but you will learn what not to do next time through those errors. In the rare event it does go perfectly, then congratulations! Have fun with it and happy brewing.

Your going to think you messed up a million things and chances are you won't mess up anything. Just keep everything sanitized. Youll be fine :mug:

On my first brew day I tried to make an IPA. I did it outside on my dads turkey burner he uses for thanksgiving- propane powered. I did everything, but after adding 5 gallons of water I ended up with 7 after the boil. Turns out my homemade wort chiller leaked tap water while I was chilling. Fermented just 5.5 gallons of that and pitched yeast and everything, hoping I didn't mess it up. Bottled. It was delcious. I had made a hoppy pale ale instead of an IPA, but everyone loved it. So really, don't worry and have a homebrew. You're gonna love it and be hooked.

Just search home extract brewing. Craig tube has done a few good YouTube videos.

I was scared I would not hit temps or not sterilize enough or something else.... Like others said, just dive in. I'm only 6 brews in but it makes more sense every time. Oh, and kegging compared to bottling is way better. In my opinion. Lastly, I did my first dry hopping on my last brew. Soo much difference.

This video is great.

CraigTube is also very helpful

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you craig was very helpful. I have it fermenting right now. Probably about a week till i bottle and 2 weeks from then i will try it

you should really let it go in the primary fermentor for at least two weeks. If you are not doing any secondary vessel I would say at least 3 to 4

Back