50% Munich 50% Maris Otter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's some delicious malty goodness right there, pick a yeast that will let the malt shine, like US-05, WLP002 or WLP007 (fermented low to hold down the diacetyl, maybe 64) and then some spicy noble hops would do nicely, tettnang, northern brewer, german tradition. Can't go wrong with the previously suggested EKG/Fuggle combo either.

Thanks. Munich and MO are my two favorite malts. Thinking about going with EKG for boil and dry hop

You could always through in a spot of Brambling Cross. I do enjoy the EKG myself.
What ever you do, make sure you have "MUMO" in the name of your beer!

any hop w/ less than ~6% alpha acids. i'd go high on flameout & dry hops to round out the malt

no...haven't made this yet...just finished a wee heavy and have a mead sitting in primary. probably going to do a smoked and oaked english barleywine next. this idea might have to go on the backburner.

I've decided to give this a go. Have just mashed in. Wanted to brew on the last day of the year, but was really unsure what to brew. Turned out I had exactly 2.5kg of munich and lots of MO so have gone 50/50 2.5kg of each (not sure in lbs, from UK, sorry!).

Have got lots of fuggles & EKG so will hop with those, not sure how I'll hop it yet, totally making it up as I go along! I am keen to put in more at the 15 -0 mins then at 60 mins though, just want to give that a go. Have only got S-04 so that'll be the yeast.

Can keep you posted if anyone's interested.

Have decided to try my hand at FWH, not done it before.

So, the hop additions are this....

17g Fuggles FWH
17g EKG FWH
15g EKG @ 30 mins
30g Fuggles @ 10 mins
30g EKG @ 5 mins

iBrewmaster says about 39 IBU's.

Thanks, will do. Just finished tidying up the kitchen before SWMBO came in and saw the mess!

Hit 1.042 OG, almost the 1.044 I was aiming for but I over batch sparged for some reason. It happens I guess...

Will try to remember to post photos when its done.

Am just over a week in. Think its done fermenting. Going to leave it for another week in a cool room then rack to secondary and dry hop it.

I've got loads of EKG and Fuggles for dry hopping. Have dry hopped several times, usually do 30g of hops (whole leaf, dry) thrown in loose into fermenter. I would then rack into a corny. I've never tried dry hopping in corny, heard it can over do it, any else got thoughts on that??

Anyway as this recipe is borrowed thought I'd open it out to suggestions for amounts and combinations!

Ta!

Dry hopping. I was going to put in around 35g but the rest of the pack fell in, which was around 50g. Ah well! Used just Fuggles in the end.

image-506692801.jpg

Here's the beer after 2 weeks. It's quite clear. Tastes really good good. Still needs time I think, but has quite a long malty aftertaste at the moment. It's incredibly smooth though, really pleased with it. Think I'll have to do more FWH in the future!

image-3728331261.jpg

image-3514232791.jpg

Here's the finished beer.

Its got a very smooth balance of hop and malt flavours (could that be the FWH?), occasionally get a grainy note (if that makes sense?!), but because of its light strength (3.9/4%) it's very sessionable! I am happy with it, not sure of the difference that the dry hopping has made : /

The main thing for me was my first try at FWH'ing, will definitely do that again.

I suppose because of the Munich, Maris & Fuggles combo it's not going to be THAT hoppy. Tastes like many a traditional English beer. However, I'm going through a bit of a 'heavily carbed & chilled' phase so this may be masking some flavours.

Hope that helps... I'm terrible at discerning beer flavours!!!

image-3160958251.jpg

Back