Good U.S. Beers not available in Canada

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foreigner

Reaction score
Hi All:

Long story short: going to New York in a few weeks and would like to know what beers y'all like that I can't usually find in my Canadian Liquor stores.

The only one I can think of off the top of my head is Red Hook ESB.

Anyone esle got some faves I should check out? I'm really not into bringing back some duty free Wild Turkey, I'd much rather have an assortment of new and interesting unavailable beers.

Thanks!:mug:

Not sure of the Canadian Availability, but for east coast here are a few brewery's I'd personally check out:

Troegs
Ommegang
Brooklyn
Harpoon

There are plenty of others, but for non-off-the-wall offerings these are a few of my favorite micro's.

zoebisch01 said:
Troegs
Ommegang
Brooklyn
Harpoon
There are plenty of others, but for non-off-the-wall offerings these are a few of my favorite micro's.
\

Thanks bro, I will google them forthwith:tank:

I have googled the above and I have been given an awesome selectio to digest.

Looks like I'll have to drink lots of beer while I'm there beacuse there's no way I'll be able to bring them all back!

Anyone got a Rus Imp Stout thats a fave? All the RIS's up here are like 6-8%

Foreigner said:
I have googled the above and I have been given an awesome selectio to digest.

Looks like I'll have to drink lots of beer while I'm there beacuse there's no way I'll be able to bring them all back!

Anyone got a Rus Imp Stout thats a fave? All the RIS's up here are like 6-8%

Can't go wrong with:

Bells Expedition
Old Rasputin by North Coast
Stone IRS
Great Lakes Black Out Stout

brewt00l said:
Can't go wrong with:

Bells Expedition
Old Rasputin by North Coast
Stone IRS
Great Lakes Black Out Stout

Wow, RIS's here I come they look awesome!...there was an an IPA that looked really nice from one of the aforementioned brewies!

Thanks all, and keep 'em coming!

Yeah, not sure of the distribution of Bell's but they are another excellent brewery. We just got their stuff locally in PA late last year. Everything I have had from them thus far has been excellent.

If you're in Ontario, you'll find no microbrews except Anchor Liberty Ale. In other words, basically nothing. Here they even think draught beer is an actual distinct style of beer. Find a good microbrew store and you'll be amazed at the variety our gov't thinks we shouldn't get. I recommend getting one of each.

grnich said:
If you're in Ontario, you'll find no microbrews except Anchor Liberty Ale. In other words, basically nothing. Here they even think draught beer is an actual distinct style of beer. Find a good microbrew store and you'll be amazed at the variety our gov't thinks we shouldn't get. I recommend getting one of each.

You can get some of the Ontario and Quebec Micros at the right LCBO's. Centrum's LCBO and the big on on King Edward both have a good selection of Scotch Irish, Heratige, Mill Street, St Ambrose, etc. As far as US micros, we got nothing. Mind you, they seem to find space to stock 1000000 European lagers.

grnich said:
In other words, basically nothing. Here they even think draught beer is an actual distinct style of beer. Find a good microbrew store and you'll be amazed at the variety our gov't thinks we shouldn't get. I recommend getting one of each.

The scene really is pathetic here in ontario isn't it? The beer store carries almost nothing except the CDN BMCs. The only things I can really enjoy come from the lcbo and are from craft brewers. Headstrong, the pale ale and the Munich lager are both excellent.
I anticipate a good beer adventure as far from the lcbo as possible

Edit: Oh, I forgot about Mill Street! Oops :) Coffee Porter and tankhouse ale...

Foreigner said:
The scene really is pathetic here in ontario isn't it? The beer store carries almost nothing except the CDN BMCs. The only things I can really enjoy come from the lcbo and are from craft brewers. Headstrong, the pale ale and the Munich lager are both excellent.
I anticipate a good beer adventure as far from the lcbo as possible

Edit: Oh, I forgot about Mill Street! Oops :) Coffee Porter and tankhouse ale...

Oh yeah, it's really sad. Thank God for home craftbrewing! Make sure you try out some nice hoppy APAs and IPAs(sierra nevada PA and Dogfish Head 60 min are awesome for hopheads, which I am)

Bike N Brew said:
After all these suggestions, I hope the Red Hook is off the list?

(psssst...it's owned by A-B)

See how sheltered we are up here in the land that is suppossed to be a beer stereotype? I've had it before, it was pleasant, but I don't really remember...

Just something I can't get up here is all. But yes, real IPA's and RISs here I come.

Dang ubiquitous BMC

For awhile just after the A-B acquisition, Red Hook was marketed like mad and seemed to be on tap everywhere on the east coast. At the time, this wasn't a terrible thing, b/c very often it was the best choice available in a row of BMC tap handles.

But now, with the selection listed in this thread, I wouldn't waste my time.

Enjoy! How much are you allowed to take back with you, anyway?

Bike N Brew said:
For awhile just after the A-B acquisition, Red Hook was marketed like mad and seemed to be on tap everywhere on the east coast. At the time, this wasn't a terrible thing, b/c very often it was the best choice available in a row of BMC tap handles.

But now, with the selection listed in this thread, I wouldn't waste my time.

Enjoy! How much are you allowed to take back with you, anyway?

The mad marketing explains why its the only brand name I can think of off the top of my head.
I believe it is 2 cases but I will have to look it up. I think it's 1.5L for hard liquor though. But you'd better believe my belly will be full :ban:

Back