adding fruit to secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kgfitz

Reaction score
i add 6 pounds of cherry puree to my secondary for a mad elf clone i am brewing. this is the first time i added anything to the secondary. i put the cherry in first then racked the beer on the cherry. it seamed like every thing mixed well but about an hour later i can see a cherry layer ( it looks like a yeast cake) at the bottem.

is this normal? should i try to mix it in or leave it alone? i just want to make sure that the cherry flavor will be mixed with the beer

Fitz

Completely normal. You could stir the crap out of it, but the cherry is still going to settle out when it stops spinning. The cherries are pureed, but they're still a solid. They're not going to dissolve in the beer.

Don't worry about it. The yeast will still find it and chew through the sugars and it'll impart plenty of flavor to your brew.

thanks for the quick reply. when i racked the beer the cherry layer wasent there when i checked on it i saw the ring and i was worried that the cherry dident mix good enough.

is the cherry going to restart fermation?? my secondary is a 5 gallon carboy and there is not that much head space(it is less then a 1/2 gal.) should i put a blow off tube on?

You might have one ready. It's going to ferment, but not quite as fast as it did in primary since the sugars aren't quite as accessable. If you're worried, go ahead and set it up.

when swmbo yells at you for almost recking the hard wood floors,walls and the ceiling you put a blow off tube on every thing

It seems normal! We have the same with our banana beer and thats doing fine!

Back