Extract Tip

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Breck09

Reaction score
This may be a stupid question, but does anyone have any tips on how to try and get every last drop of liquid extract out of the bottle? I searched but didn't find anything. Thanks.

Do you heat your extract can up before pouring? I usually open it up and put it into a pan of hot water to get it hot and easier to pour. That helps to get most - then you can rinse the last bit out with some water from a brew pot (or somewhere).

Good luck

Put your DME in a heavy duty plastic container or decent sized pot before you brew, I buy in bulk and keep it in 5gal buckets and use a small pot as a scoop. This way I can dip it in my BK and get all the DME out.

Put your DME in a heavy duty plastic container or decent sized pot before you brew, I buy in bulk and keep it in 5gal buckets and use a small pot as a scoop. This way I can dip it in my BK and get all the DME out.

+1 This is the way to do it.

And if you're doing full boils outside you can use a SS paint mixer to bust up them doughballs!

How about a tip for getting DME out of the bag without the steam gumming it up on the bag lip!

1. Cut the top off the bag just under the seam.

2. Add 1/2 cup of warmed/hot water.

3. Carefully fold the bag in half on the vertical.

4. Slowly squeeze the bag until the water level gets near the top and release your grip.

5. Repeat as necessary.

6. Pour dissolved DME/water into the pot.

7. Toss bag in trash. :D

I always soaked my cans of LME in hot water to make it pour better. that and a good rubber spatula.

for the bottles (narrow mouth) I'd do several VERY HOT water rinses.

Call me a weirdo or whatever but I've never made a "kit beer" or used LME for that matter, only DME. The best thing I could have ever done to help with my Extract Brewing Process was to use that paint mixer, it just hit me like a bolt of lightning one day so I cleaned it off really well and went to town!

First thing, I heat a small pot of water to boil. Kill heat and set the cans in it. By the time I am ready for them they are just right. Then rinse with hot water. (Be sure and use a towel or wear an oven mitt. The can will get HOT.)

Sitting it in hot water for at least 15 mins before I need it is all I do for liquid. I just used all dry extract for the first time Sunday. Biggest tip i got is that it wants to all pour out and pour out quick so be careful because I almost dumped mine in all at once. I've been told that if you spill some it will immediately stick to the side of your pot.

I and a friend of mine pour out as much of the LME as we can easily, then carefully did it into the boiling wort. Put the cap back on and shake it really good. Careful is the word here, it is hot... But you get each last drop of goodness.

For the DME, I pour the bag as quickly as I can and if there is a bunch stuck, I again stick the bag down in the wort. I am not that worried about cleanliness at that point, heck I am going to boil it for an hour.

Back