Wyeast propagator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mantis

Reaction score
I know the propagators aren't supposed to be pitched directly into a 5 gallon batch, but what about 2.5 gallon batches?? My LHBS said it should be fine, but I wanted to run it by some people here before I did it. Thanks.

Will probably be fine. Depends on the SG of the batch and how old the yeast are.

I'm at school right now so I'm not 100% on the SG. It's for a patersbier recipe.

4.5lbs belgian pils are the only grains that I will be mashing.

Sorry, but I disagree.
The propagator has 1/4 the cells that the activator pack has.
If you can accept that an activator pack can pitch 5g of 1.060 wort (and I believe that is under-pitching), then the propagator would be able to pitch about 1.25 gallons at the same pitching rate.

-a.

Sorry, but I disagree.
The propagator has 1/4 the cells that the activator pack has.
If you can accept than an activator pack can pitch 5g of 1.060 wort (and I believe that is under-pitching), then the propagator would be able to pitch about 1.25 gallons at the same pitching rate.

-a.

Gotchya, yeah that makes sense. I guess it won't hurt anything to make a small starter tonight for Saturdays batch. Better safe then sorry.

Latest posts

Back