Oaked Arrogant Bastard

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TechyDork

Dork of all Tech
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just found it in Anchorage. so i bought a 6er and damn is it good!!! To me it was not better than the original, but it was a very very tasty beer.

Do they sell the original ABA in sixers or just bombers? I LOVE the non-oaked version. I actually brewed a batch of it a few months ago. I think the oaked version is just OK, but they only sell sixers that here while the non-oaked comes in bombers. Weird.

Next time I go to my beergasm store I'll let you know. Next on my list to get is a sixer of that victory prima pils and maybe some of the double dead guy I saw.

I wanted to try the Oaked AB a couple of weekends ago but the bar just ran out. oh well, if the original is better, I guess I didn't miss much. BTW the double dead guy is excellent

I would have to agree with everyone, the orig AB is better IMO. I actually just had an Oaked AB last night. I have a brew that I make that spurred off from AB (started with a clone and tuned it to my taste) and i am going to oak some of it this weekend. It seemed like the Oaked AB was oaked with really light barrels/chips (not sure of which). It really pulled a lot of the coconut taste into the brew. Im going to try some of the dark toasted chips in my brew we will see if it turns out better.

I actually take the opposite tack, I prefer the oaked over the original by a tad. I love AB, but I think the oaked is even better. Trader Joe's has the regular for 4.95 a bomber, and every time I am there and pick up a few, the cashier inevitably asks me about them. And I always mention that they should try to get the oaked in there too.

I prefer the regular AB by far but I've enjoyed drinking the Oaked version as well. The bombers I can drink like nothing which probably adds to my enjoyment.

I prefer the regular AB by far but I've enjoyed drinking the Oaked version as well. The bombers I can drink like nothing which probably adds to my enjoyment.

I absolutely love the regular AB. It was 8.5% when I made it because of good eff and over-boiling. There were many rough mornings as a result of having it on tap in my house.:drunk: I could drink it all day every day. I wish Double Bastard Ale was year round too. I need to find a recipe for that too.

I absolutely love the regular AB. It was 8.5% when I made it because of good eff and over-boiling. There were many rough mornings as a result of having it on tap in my house.:drunk: I could drink it all day every day. I wish Double Bastard Ale was year round too. I need to find a recipe for that too.

On slightly the same subject: have you tried Sierra Nevada's Celebration Ale? It's a lot like AB in some ways (same hops) and I tried it side by side, noticing minor (to me anyway) differences. It's cheaper than AB and goes down pretty well. I wish I had written down something about it since it was back in December.

On slightly the same subject: have you tried Sierra Nevada's Celebration Ale? It's a lot like AB in some ways (same hops) and I tried it side by side, noticing minor (to me anyway) differences. It's cheaper than AB and goes down pretty well. I wish I had written down something about it since it was back in December.

Whoa. Those are very different beers. They use the same bittering hops, but the flavor and aroma profiles are really different. AB is a chinook bomb andd Celebration uses centennial and cascade. I dont really see the similarity.

Whoa. Those are very different beers. They use the same bittering hops, but the flavor and aroma profiles are really different. AB is a chinook bomb andd Celebration uses centennial and cascade. I dont really see the similarity.

Maybe not to you but to me I noticed a definite similarity , and they both use Chinook so that's probably what got me going in the first place.

Chinook is dry hopped in that SNCA recipe too, so there's definite aroma from it too. I really want to try that now. It's seasonal only right? Winter?

Yeah, winter. I looked on their website really quick and didn't see when they first put it out in the season but I'd guess late October to early November.

I like them both equally, but in different categories. If i am going to just grab one to drink, i will grab the original, if i want something a little extra in flavor, i grab the oaked one. So ultimately i do think the oaked is a bit better in flavor but it is not something i can drink on a regular basis.

Unfortunately Utah does not sell Stone Brews (Utah wont allow sales of beers over 4.0%ABV except in state liquor stores and the state stores do not allow refrigeration and Stone wont sell to anywhere that does not refrigerate their beers), so whenever i go back home to California i stop off at my favorite beverage supply place or the brewery itself and stock up. Whenever i do the cashier is just in awe of how many i buy and how much i spend.

I must have had a bad bottle last night. To me, it was overly sweet with little hop flavor or aroma. I was very disappointed. I left the bar thinking I'd not order it again. After reading this thread, I'm thinking it was a bad/old bottle. That sucks.

It seemed like the Oaked AB was oaked with really light barrels/chips (not sure of which).
Stone uses American Oak chips for time reasons. I don't know the toast. Occasionally they use French oak, but that is only available on tap at the brewery.

I have notices several clones of the original, any tips on which recipe is the closet to the original? I am hopefully pruchasing a home in the next few months and would love to have AB on tap at all times!!

Well, this thread has inspired me. To the fridge to pour a nice Oaked AB!

EDIT - This just came out of my regular refrig. Need to let it warm up.

I actually take the opposite tack, I prefer the oaked over the original by a tad. I love AB, but I think the oaked is even better. Trader Joe's has the regular for 4.95 a bomber, and every time I am there and pick up a few, the cashier inevitably asks me about them. And I always mention that they should try to get the oaked in there too.

OMG thats expensive! I will usually get it here for around $4 a bomber depending on the time of the year. When there is a sale I stock up. Of course I just prefer to brew my own :rockin:

Stone uses American Oak chips for time reasons. I don't know the toast. Occasionally they use French oak, but that is only available on tap at the brewery.

I just read this, must have skipped over it the first time through. Thanks for letting me know! I wish I was a little more local to swing by the brewery but im up here in Oregon. I want to try it on French Oak! I normally like the oaked versions of beers a lot better but the oaked AB I think just needs a different toast on their chips. (who am I to tell Stone how to brew :cross: haha) Its always an opinion when it comes to taste. Either way, Oaked or not they are both great.

I always buy Stone at BevMo unrefridgerated...

Look on the side of the bottle of Arrogant Bastard next time you have one, It says "keep refrigerated numbskull!!"

Last time i visited the brewery i asked why there are no distributors that will sell to the state liquor stores as Utah is one of the only states in the west Stone does not sell. They said that they want all of their beers refrigerated with the only exceptions being a few special limited brews and the Ruination as that can be stored at cellar temps.

Stone uses third party distribution, so if you are seeing it unrefrigerated that is an issue with either the individual store or the distributor as the brewery itself wants them refrigerated.

I may have had too much beer and turkey, but I have to agree. I picked up the Oaked on Thanksgiving and though AB is something I can drink and drink, the Oaked version was a huge treat. It has something special to it that I can't figure out.

I'm getting a 6er to have one periodically...

I may have had too much beer and turkey, but I have to agree. I picked up the Oaked on Thanksgiving and though AB is something I can drink and drink, the Oaked version was a huge treat. It has something special to it that I can't figure out.

I'm getting a 6er to have one periodically...

After having a few sixers of the oaked over the past few months i have to say that i now much prefer the original. the oaked is still a fine beer, but if i had the choice i would go for the original AB everytime.

Back