How much fresh peach in Apfelwein?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

culaslucas

Reaction score
I'm looking to rack some Apfelwein onto some fruit. Cherry for one, Peach for another and Spices on another.

I need to buy my fresh, whole peaches now - how many pounds do you think I should get for a 5 Gallon batch?

Thanks in advance!

Where the in egypt are you getting fresh peaches in boulder in MAY!?! Or are you pre ordering?!?

I am thinking of doing the same, as I have 2 peach trees (I am not in Boulder...)

I am figuring 5lbs working off a random recipe on the intraweb. I will put them in as little water as possible, heat to 170 ish and hold, then cool and make the apfel wine on top.... welll... maybe I will rack after a few weeks.

moderate to light, maybe 3 lbs. I am also thinking of pittting and juicing to really open up the flavor.

Where the in egypt are you getting fresh peaches in boulder in MAY!?! Or are you pre ordering?!?

I am thinking of doing the same, as I have 2 peach trees (I am not in Boulder...)

I am figuring 5lbs working off a random recipe on the intraweb. I will put them in as little water as possible, heat to 170 ish and hold, then cool and make the apfel wine on top.... welll... maybe I will rack after a few weeks.

moderate to light, maybe 3 lbs. I am also thinking of pittting and juicing to really open up the flavor.

Yup, it's a preorder. I'm not even sure when they're coming in. But great peaches go fast here in Colorado - gotta get them while you can. There's a fair amount of peaches grown on the Western Slope of Colorado (west of the mountains).

I haven't determined my method of pasturization, since my Apfelwein ranges between 8.9 and 9.9%, I'm not really worried about contamination. I may "Steam" pasteurize them for a few minutes and then puree.

I was initially estimating 5 lbs...I would be interested in hearing from somebody who has done this before to see their results.

I'd say for a light to moderate peach flavour in your apfelwein rack it onto 2lbs peaches. I'd wash, pit & quarter those peaches, then freeze them till they're solid, defrost them & let them come up to room temp before putting them in the carbouy. Freezing helps to extract more juice by breaking down the cell walls in the fruit. You might add a dose of pectic enzyme too. Regards, GF.

Good call on Freezing. I will definitely do that. Do you think I should use Campden as well?

I think I'll go with 2.5lbs of peaches.

Ya 2 or 3lbs peaches in 5 gal. should give you a light, but noticable peach flavour without overpowering the apple flavours. I would certainly use campden tabs (@ 1/gal.); I learned the hard way that bacteria can survive washing in soapy water, rinsing, freezing solid & defrosting, only to cause problems in a melomel during secondary. Now I always use campden on fruit or juice that hasn't been pasturized. Regards, GF.

I think I'm gonna try this too. I'm gonna make a 5g batch,let it ferment out and clear then rack half onto peaches and half onto cinnamon. How long are you planning on letting the apfelwein sit on the fruit?

Back