Any one use an air pump?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don "Ho"

Reaction score
In my Mead bible (The complete Meadmaker by Ken Schrammm) he mentions using compressed air for about 5 minutes in a 5 gallon carboy. Thinking about doing this on my next try at mead..

Anyone done this, pointers, or is this just wasted effort?

Thanks
Don "Ho"

I use an aquarium pump to provide the compressed air for aeration of my musts, via an airstone. I have an in-line sub-micron filter that I use to keep contaminants out of the must when I'm running the pump.

It is not wasted effort to aerate or oxygenate your must pre-pitch. In fact, for most efficient fermentation it is a good idea to continue to stir some air into the must until you reach the 1/3 sugar break. Oxygen is good for your yeast until they establish a stable colony and get down to the business of anaerobic fermentation.

Ive been using a Nebulizer for asthma patients.. it has a filter incorporated into the body and also I installed a second filter inline. I have my ornamental metal worker making up 2 stainless steel tubes that medical air stones can be secured to (the ones you see in an medical O2 set up) till i get it i have used just air hose with a sanitary stone just dropped in the primary.
I have also used medical O2 as I have access to it as well and notice no great difference from the pump to the tank....just my 2cents worth
anthony

I've used medical oxygen on some of my high grav meads before. (from my spare O2 cylinder in EMT kit) Cut the end off a nasal canula and attach an air stone, sanitize, and give the mead 6 liters/per min for about 5-7 min. Using a blender works great but I always end up wondering if it was clean enough over the next few months while it ferments.

:off: Hey GF, do you have a blender set aside that you just use for your meads?

I use a big ol' 3 foot paint stirrer from the hardware store. Sanitised and inserted into my cordless drill. Makes mixing in a whole bucket of honey into water a breeze. And I end up with a massive 3 to 4 inch layer of bubbly oxygenated foam from all that whipping. I work big though, my primary fermenter is 16 gallons.

Hey GF, do you have a blender set aside that you just use for your meads?

Well, yes & no. I have a blender that I use just for fermentations; but I use it with meads & wines both. I had some worries about the rubber O ring & the porous nature of rubber for obvious reasons, but I just wash it well, let it dry & give it a good spraying with starsan. No problems so far & I've been using this method for 4 years & counting. It's just a cheap ($30) blender I got at Walmart. The only real issue for me is the motor. I can only blend about 3lbs of honey (with room temp water) at a time as the motor just isn't powerful enough to mix more than that. A better motor would make things much easier. Regards, GF.

to answer the question using a canister of compressed air will work just fine. but it has been reported with beer brewers that it can result in a "weaker" taste. my guess would be that the other gasses in our atmosphere also dissolve in the wart and add flavor. i do not know if this is also true with meed.

Back