best metal band of all time (metallica not allowed)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Black Sabbath of all the "classic" metal bands I think, as they spawned my favorite sub-genre of metal, doom metal. Slow, pondering, textural and epic. Bands such as Ulver (well, my fav album by them at least, "Bergtatt"), Agalloch, Candlemass, In the Woods, and Doomsword. Although my fav metal band would probably be Agalloch, folk-influenced doom metal. Fantastic stuff.

Good Lord...

Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath -- those are not metal bands.

"Acid Rock" would be the correct genre.

I don't know, I'd classify Black Sabbath as more Proto-doom, and listening to some of it, I'd call it more "metal" than LZ or DP due to the instrumentation, scooped mids in the distortion, and overall heavyness. Of course, it really matters on the album one is speaking of.

I am appreciating Metallica a lot more recently. Although it doesn't appear to the casual listener as heavy metal, numbers like "Nothing Else Matters" are full of feeling without the need to go mental on the guitar. :)

Freaking cool and under appreciated ---> Mudvayne. Lacuna Coil. Five Finger Death Punch. Straight Line Stitch. Type O Negative. Pist On. Armored Saint.

Whiners ---> Metallica.

MEGATHIS!! Love Mudvayne. And I liked Metallica up until after the black album. Definitely whiners.

A question of who's the "best" metal band is like asking which beer is the best. But I'll put my vote in for Pantera. RIP Dimebag. :(

Surprised nobody's mentioned Dethklok yet. :D Cartoon metal band, I know, but I think the show's hilarious and the CD is ****ing sweet! You want machine gun drumming? Gene Hoglan delivers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Lord...

Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath -- those are not metal bands.

"Acid Rock" would be the correct genre.

And add 4oz's of wheat to a beer and it's a hefe, right

I don't know, I'd classify Black Sabbath as more Proto-doom, and listening to some of it, I'd call it more "metal" than LZ or DP due to the instrumentation, scooped mids in the distortion, and overall heavyness. Of course, it really matters on the album one is speaking of.

Black Sabbath has influenced every dark metal band since 1970

Lamb of God is the best current metal band. And now that Randy has lightened up on the sauce they put on a hell of a show. Pantera was my favorite in high school. Opeth is on heavy rotation in the truck. Every album is amazing. Its like those guys put on a symphony and then kill everything in their path. F-ing beautiful.

Oh and Megadeth is sh*t. Dave Mustaines voice makes me want to take a bath with a toaster.

Opeth is on heavy rotation in the truck. Every album is amazing. Its like those guys put on a symphony and then kill everything in their path. F-ing beautiful.

Opeth rules my iPod currently. Saw them with Dream Theater not that long ago. Incredible show.
Coheed and Cambria is growing on me as well. While not really metal, they are awesome in concert.

There is so much good music in the metal genre. Pity that some folks prefer to draw lines and draw conclusions rather than appreciate what is out there.

I think Max was what made Sepultura. I like some of the Soulfly - mainly the vocals.

Agreed. I've been rocking the two most recent Soulfly albums lately. They remind me of Chaos AD-era Sepultura. Max's vocals definitely seal the deal. And when Soulfly plays live, they play a lot of old Sepultura songs, which is very cool!

Nobody has mentioned Testament, did they just disappear after the 90's. I think their first 3 albums were very good. Alex Skolnick is a pretty incredible guitarist. I think he/testament are underrated. Although I don't think they get #1, they sure were up there for me.

METALLICA ROCKS!
80's Ozzy :rockin:
DIO :rockin:
Judas Priest
W.A.S.P. :rockin:

but hey, I'm just an old headbanger. :mug:

Pantera's Cowboys and Vulgar force me to put them on top. If Metallica's And Justice were mixed like The Black album, I might be able to look past the Napster situation and the fact that they should have quit 10 years ago.

Nobody has mentioned Testament, did they just disappear after the 90's. I think their first 3 albums were very good. Alex Skolnick is a pretty incredible guitarist. I think he/testament are underrated. Although I don't think they get #1, they sure were up there for me.

No they didn't disappear. They just had a new album a few months ago "The Formation of Damnation".

Alex is back on giutars and Paul Bostaph on drums \m/

At the time it came out "Acid Rock" was the label that was applied to it. Nobody ever thought to call it "proto-doom" or "sludge-metal" or any of those other ghey labels kids make up.

Nobody ever called Sabbath "metal" until "Born Again" and their careers were half over by then.

No MESHUGGAH? Seriously. Thank God someone mentioned Opeth, at least.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQBv1smlQEU]YouTube - Meshuggah - Future Breed Machine[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BurXVRBdGos]YouTube - Meshuggah - New Millenium Cyanide Christ (live)[/ame]

No they didn't disappear. They just had a new album a few months ago "The Formation of Damnation".

Alex is back on giutars and Paul Bostaph on drums \m/

I will need to check that out.

Funny how metal has become more mainstream. Back in 80's when I lived in your area I was shunned and feared.

wait wait wait---------

Someone else knows about Lacuna Coil? Holy crap!

Mudvayne gets a vote from me too!

Agree that Mudvayne is fairly solid. Also, oh yeah, me likee some Lacuna Coil.

Lacuna_Coil2.jpg

I enjoy their music every once in a while too :ban:

I'm gonna go see Danzig next month...I only wish it was Danzig with Chuck Biscuits, John Christ and Eerie Von.....the "classic" lineup was awesome...

As an old school metal head (old school Metallica, Megadeth, Maiden, Dream Theater, Sabbath, etc) I highly recommend the following bands:

Trivium
In Flames
Iced Earth
Beyond Fear

and when you want a little less aggression:
Nightwish
Edguy
The Vanden Plas

and I can't forget Mercyful Fate / King Diamond

King Diamond's Deadly Lullabyes is one of the best live albums I've heard...

I'm gonna go see Danzig next month...I only wish it was Danzig with Chuck Biscuits, John Christ and Eerie Von.....the "classic" lineup was awesome...

i saw the original danzig line up with metallica, and suicidal tendencies back in like 1994. it was an amazing show.

Nevermore used to open a lot of shows in my neck of the woods - good guys, good music.

**** Dragonforce and their D&D - wizards and magic bull****. Too corny to listen to. And one of the guys pulls a wammy bar and everybody is "like, oh my god." I mean, those guys are good but every song is the same and very gimmicky.

Not my favorite, but an honorable mention being Canadian and all. (Who knew that aside from Rush any music was made there?) Here is some Strapping Young Lad.

[youtube]QrNOqVZbwWw[/youtube]

[youtube]QvurHEvxCcc[/youtube]

BTW - Megadeth is a very solid band band. It seems that people remember the MTV videos and not the quality metal that was the Rust in Peace album.

Nevermore used to open a lot of shows in my neck of the woods - good guys, good music.

**** Dragonforce and their D&D - wizards and magic bull****. Too corny to listen to. And one of the guys pulls a wammy bar and everybody is "like, oh my god." I mean, those guys are good but every song is the same and very gimmicky.

Not my favorite, but an honorable mention being Canadian and all. (Who knew that aside from Rush any music was made there?) Here is some Strapping Young Lad.

[youtube]QrNOqVZbwWw[/youtube]

[youtube]QvurHEvxCcc[/youtube]

BTW - Megadeth is a very solid band band. It seems that people remember the MTV videos and not the quality metal that was the Rust in Peace album.

i saw nevermore open up for savatage in a little bar up by chicago a few years ago. met warrel dane, and the rest of the crew. amazing songwriters, great musicians, and swell stand up nice guys! jeff loomis is my 2nd favorite guitarist, right after alex skolnick.

oh ****! S.Y.L.!!!!

devin townsend is a bad ass. he's my number two favorite metal/rock vocalist (first favorite being mike patton of faith no more/tomohawk/mr. bungle/peeping tom/etc. ) both of those guys' range, and depth is amazing. his solo stuff is great as well. the video for LOVE? is the best video ever. if you haven't seen it, it's like a remake of the evil dead 2 movie, and it's an awesome song. i really like the new S.Y.L. c.d., "the new black." it has a good range of stuff on it.

and +1 to the dragonforce crap. they're fast, but so what?? they can't write a song worth a crap. they wrote one song, and just put different lyrics to it ten times, and called it a c.d. being an actual guitarist, and musician, it makes me want to strangle all the wannabe's that think they're gods gift to music because they have long hair and whammy bars. steve vai, buckethead, joe santriani, those guys are guitarists.

Thank you for giving Mike Patton the respect he deserves. I f'ing love that guy. He's completely pycho in a really great way.:tank:

I saw SYL a few years ago at the first Sounds of the Underground tour. Lamb of God, Opeth, Clutch and of course GWAR headlined.

For those that haven't heard them,
check out the Human Abstract

holy ****, guys. you started this thread when i was on vacation!!!!!

damn...let's see.

NWOBHM: Judas Priest (and Halford), Iron Maiden

caratula7vd.jpg

Death Metal: Death, hands down. Morbid Angel is up there. Necrophagist is awesome, too. oh, and don't forget Dethklok. i'm not kidding, that album is incredible.

logodeathtravsmalllw6.jpg

Thrash: Slayer of course, but Testament is my favorite. amazing band...the new album kicks ass, too. Megadeth is good (mustainadeth can get annoying, tho)

testament-the_formation_of_damnation.jpg

as for other genres, i'm a huge fan of:
3 Inches of Blood
Venom
Pantera

i'm also really digging the new mixed genre stuff, such as some norther, children of bodom, kalmah, etc.

oh, and black sabbath deserves some respect, too.

sorry if i forgot anyone...i'm kinda working right now

being an actual guitarist, and musician, it makes me want to strangle all the wannabe's that think they're gods gift to music because they have long hair and whammy bars. steve vai, buckethead, joe santriani, those guys are guitarists.
Yeah, they are fast, but that's not all that makes them good. I never said they were the best guitarists ever (totally goes to Satriani/Vai), but they are some of if not the best (living) current metal guitarists. Their techniques and speed are impressive, they use some things that no one else does, etc, etc. I totally understand how you could not like their music. I like them a lot but still have to take them in doses. However, to say that they're not really good at what they do is baseless unless you can prove that there are a 100s of metal guitarists doing a better job on guitar, or bass, or keyboard, or singing. Hell, all the people in Dragonforce, even if you hate their music, and incredibly talented musicians. For example, I think Zeppelin is good, they're all talented and were innovative, but I can't stand their music.

Latest posts

Back