DIY mash paddle.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grimsawyer

Reaction score
I have some white oak boards sitting around and I swear I heard one beg me for some attention. I believe it is jealous that the pressure treated 4x4's and the crappy cheap-o 2x4's are getting all the glory by holding up my mash tun etc... I've heard it's cry and I do believe I can end it's pain and misery by sawing it up, routering a bit of it's grainy flesh away and sanding that of it's body I deem inappropriate to a beautiful paddle shape! How long from end to end should I make it? how wide should the handle be? How wide should the paddle be? how wide should the hole be in the center of the paddle? Do I need to do anything other than sand it to prepare it for service?

Gotcha. So it dosn't matter too much the shape as long as it isn't a solid paddle. Do you really need to use food grade mineral oil on the paddle or would it be ok to use right after a good dusting?

I see how you would want a DIY mash paddle if they were expensive, but they're really not. I got mine for $8 from HD. I drilled some 1" holes in the paddle to help it "rake" and not just paddle the grain around. No oil or anything, and I expect it to last plenty long enough before I have to spend another $8. I guess if you've got extra time to burn, though...

It's the same as this one.

mixing_paddles.jpg

I would not oil it. I have mine raw white oak. Come up with a design that fits well with your brewery, as long as it is study it will work. Realistically, all you NEED is a stick long enough to reach the bottom of your tun. Cool looking paddles are definately better though. Post some pics!

MY NEW MASH PADDLE!!!!!!

I had more pics of various stages being cut up and such but it was at the end of the memory so it kept taking the picture over the last one taken. :( oh well, a bit more sanding and it'll be a fine addition to my brewery!!! I'm definately excited about it!

Make some spot on the handle wide enough to collect signatures for fun. A friend of mine made his own mash paddle and those who stick around to help him out on a brew day get to sign the paddle. It is interesting to look back at those names and see several of them have become home brewers.. Me including!

I see how you would want a DIY mash paddle if they were expensive, but they're really not. I got mine for $8 from HD. I drilled some 1" holes in the paddle to help it "rake" and not just paddle the grain around. No oil or anything, and I expect it to last plenty long enough before I have to spend another $8. I guess if you've got extra time to burn, though...

mixing_paddles.jpg
You found this in Home Depot? Where? I was there the other day and walked around for about an hour looking for something like that!

I am planning on milling one from a 36" maple log. Why all the work? Why not? and if it doesn't turn out, I can just go buy one.

mixing_paddles.jpg

I was in Home Depot and saw that today. I picked it up for under $8 and it looks like it's going to work great. Drilled some holes in it and sanded the whole thing smooth.

1ff7484f.jpg

Here is what I am working on. My buddy is a carpenter and wanted to make me something for the new Brewery. This is what we came up with. Solid Oak, board that has a crack at the top on one side. So we cut around it. Not sure how much it will get used. It may just get hung on the wall as decoration.

0805101616.jpg

I was in Home Depot and saw that today. I picked it up for under $8 and it looks like it's going to work great. Drilled some holes in it and sanded the whole thing smooth.

1ff7484f.jpg

This was on sale for less than $7. I went ahead and bought it. Cheaper than the plastic paddle from the homebrew shop.

I plan on drilling some holes in there just like this. Are the 1" holes sufficient?

I TRIED to make one out of pine, not thinking it's soft wood, and drilled one too many holes in it and it snapped. Next time I won't try saving $5 and get maple.

I'm currently building my deck out of tigerwood and plan on using one of the longer pieces of cutoff decking to make my new mash paddle. Should be a golden opportunity to use my new router table.

Latest posts

Back