So what are the cool kids dry hopping with these days?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Here's the story. I am in the process of refining my DIPA recipe. I have been using Cascade, and i really love it, but i want to go with something a bit different, not looking for dank or piney like Simcoe. I'm looking for a tropical, more fruity effect. I just tried a batch with Citra, but its just too grapefruity for me. Any suggestions that worked well for you, other citrus flavors? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh and one more thing i am also going pro this year so i want something that's not super rare or hard to get. Thanks!

In my experience, cascade is far more grapefruity than citra- citra screams MANGO to me, with tropical fruit a major flavor. I can't think of anything more tropical than citra, but if it tastes like grapefruit to you than I guess that wouldn't work.

that's funny, guess we have different palettes. And i'm basing this solely on the one Citra beer i've brewed and a Widmer Citra summer ale. Any experience with real fruit in a DIPA? There's a few peach farms around here.

Amarillo was going to be my next attempt!

Amarillo is probably THE most grapefruity hop around. If you like it (as I do), that'd be great but it's even more citrusy/grapefruit than cascades are.

I love amarillo hops and use them in several different beers, in combination with simcoe and with US C-hops. I love them in dryhopping, also.

Nelson Sauvin and simcoe make a good combo. I have a pale ale that has a tropical mango grape to it. Hard to describe but it is my favorite beer right now.

I agree, Amarillo should be your next attempt. You may even want to add a little brambling cross for more depth.

I don't know what the cool kids are using, but I like Amarillo and Citra, and it seems like stuff like Galaxy, Mosaic, Calypso, and Zythos are popular right now.

Amarillo, simcoe, citra, Nelson Sauvin, mosaic, galaxy - these will all be next to impossible for you to get if you are just opening up a brewery - at least in the quantities you would need for a regular/semi-regular brew.

That being said some of my favorites are centennial, chinook (really fruity in the dry-hop for me), and Apollo. If you can find horizon (not much ancrage) it is very tropical and delicious.

On that note, Is there a big difference between an ounce of Amarillo at flame out VS an ounce of Amarillo dry hopped for 7 days? I am brewing this weekend and I have decided to throw it in at flame out.

i have noticed differences between flame out and dry hopping, most of the recipes i have done have both for big hop beers, but how effective one over the other is , i can't really say what's 'best'. dialing in the 'EXACT PERFECT AMAZEBALLS' hop schedule is a bit difficult- with time, patience, and money being factors. now that we are going to a brewery scale, i'm trying to streamline the whole process, but i'm learning fast that there are many freedoms in homebrewing that a package brewery does not have. like- to make an awesome DIPA do i need to make a 'pliny' with a million different hops every 38 seconds or do i just use 1 or 2 varieties like 'bell's double hearted'. both are amazing beers. to each his own i guess.

Mosaic seems to be the hot one currently...dem blueberries

On that note, Is there a big difference between an ounce of Amarillo at flame out VS an ounce of Amarillo dry hopped for 7 days? I am brewing this weekend and I have decided to throw it in at flame out.

I've thrown almost 5 oz of hops at flame out / whirlpool and I still don't get a very pronounced aroma if I don't dry hop. I get a little from adding that much at flame out but with dry hop the aroma is amplified a ton. I think the reason I don't get aroma from flame out is because the co2 released during fermentation scrubs most of the aroma away from anything you've added prior to fermentation, but I'm saying that based on what I've read here, I don't actually know what's going on at a molecular level.

Basically every hop listed in this thread, while delicious is going to be contracted out for at least 1 year and potentially as much as 3.

Citra, Amarillo, Nelson, Galaxy, Mosaic..

If you like cascade, centennial is easier to find than the aforementioned and a similar but more robust flavor. Not tropical, more like a more intense cascade with some floral notes.

IMO any hop that you could say has tropical flavors is on the "hard to find list" and unless you have planned ahead and bought some futures they are going to be extremely difficult for you to come by as a pro and especially at a reasonable price.

I'm debating on dry hopping my recently brewed wheat ale. I'm not sure if I should. Anyone have experience dry hopping a wheat?

I just made an IPA about 3 weeks ago and added an ounce each of Simcoe, Citra, and Amarillo at flameout and then dry-hopped with Citra and Simcoe. It smells absolutely amazing.

I'm debating on dry hopping my recently brewed wheat ale. I'm not sure if I should. Anyone have experience dry hopping a wheat?

I dry hopped an apricot wheat with citra, turned out delicious.

jglazer said:
I dry hopped an apricot wheat with citra, turned out delicious.

Awesome...I have citra and amarillo available so I might throw some of one in there

Yep, careful though because both of them can overpower a wheat beer pretty easily. I dry hopped 1 ounce in the keg. I put it in while it was ~70 for 3 days then I chilled the keg down to serving temps where I left the dry hops (in a bag) in the keg until the keg was kicked. 1 ounce in 5 gallons was all I used and it was good

When it is young I find sorachi ace has a distinct lemon coconut flavor. It fades to just lemony in a few weeks though. I'll never forget how surprised I was to taste coconut in a 2-row/wheat beer.

Citra, Mosaic, Galaxy (2013 crop is out right now), El Dorado are the "it" hops right now IMO. But Simcoe and Amarillo are still good "old" standbys....

If you've ever heard of 3 Floyd's Gumballhead, it is a wheat ale dry-hopped with (I think) Amarillo. From a quick sniff, you'd think you were about to drink a hoppy pale ale, but it works very well.

I have never dry hopped my recipe says dry hop 7 days is that 7 days left or 7 days into fementation.

Gonna put a suggestion for crystal hops out there. Often overlooked, but has a really wonderful spicy lemon quality. Rouges brutal bitter or ninkasi's total domination are descent examples.

drainbamage said:
If you've ever heard of 3 Floyd's Gumballhead, it is a wheat ale dry-hopped with (I think) Amarillo. From a quick sniff, you'd think you were about to drink a hoppy pale ale, but it works very well.

I have had Gumballhead and its great... I may have to throw some Amarillo in there then. Thanks

Back