Mango IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksubowman

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to start my mango IPA and have a question for all the hop heads in the house. My bittering hops are 1 oz of summit and my flavor are 1 oz of zythos with no aroma hops. I'm gonna dry hop this one with 1 oz of citra and 1 oz of cascade with 2.5 lbs of mangos. How does my hop line up look like? I've got some palisade hops too I wasn't planning on using. What does everyone think? Is that to much citrus?

Your severely lacking hops. An IPA should have at a min 5-6 oz for dry hopping and that is in addition to a healthy dose of flavor and aroma hops in the boil.

Whalewang said:
Your severely lacking hops. An IPA should have at a min 5-6 oz for dry hopping and that is in addition to a healthy dose of flavor and aroma hops in the boil.

Seriously? A minimum of 5-6 oz? That's a ridiculously high minimum.

As for recipe critique, you need to post a full recipe with when you're adding hops to get good feedback.

Whalewang said:

The IPA's I've brewed all had 5-6 oz of hops total and only used 1 oz to dry hop

The amount of total hops used depends on your batch size, OG, and intensity of aroma desired. IIPAs like Pliny and Heady may use upwards of 4-6 oz. for a multistage dryhop. But I wouldn't recommend adding this amount to 3 gallons of a 1.055 OG IPA in one stage.

For a 5 gallon batch of standard IPA, 7-10 oz. total hops is good. Figure 0.50 to 0.75 oz. dryhops per gallon of beer. Bump the rate up slightly higher (from 0.75 to 1.25 oz. dryhops per gallon of beer) if brewing an IIPA.

OP, use 1 oz. of the Palisade in the dryhop as well as your current plan. Palisade is fruity which will help your goal. Citra is even fruitier. I would do a simple 60/30/0/DH schedule (30 min is for rounded bitterness) with the majority of the total recipe hops at 0 and DH. Focusing on 0 & DH will give you a hop flavor and aroma profile that is through the roof!

How are you adding/preparing the mangoes? Fresh, frozen, puree? Any special treatments before using?

I'm getting ready to start my mango IPA and have a question for all the hop heads in the house. My bittering hops are 1 oz of summit and my flavor are 1 oz of zythos with no aroma hops. I'm gonna dry hop this one with 1 oz of citra and 1 oz of cascade with 2.5 lbs of mangos. How does my hop line up look like? I've got some palisade hops too I wasn't planning on using. What does everyone think? Is that to much citrus?

I too would like to see this full recipe. I have to brew 5 gallons for a wedding with a phillipino groom. Mango is the national fruit.

Use some Rakau hops for aroma. You won't regret it. They're a very peachy/mangoey/passionfruity/citrusy hop. I've been thinking about making a batch combining lots of Rakau and mangos or peaches for a while.

This is a five gallon batch and am trying to do something new. I thought this sounded like it had a good ring. I am getting bored wit the traditional kits, I need to expand my brewing taste buds.

This is an extract kit elf rom Austin homebrew. It's the AHS Anniversary IPA. I think I'm going to use 2.5 lbs of mangos from the frozen food section and add the. When I dry hop for 4 days. It takes

1lbs crystal 75L malt
7lbs of extra pale extract
1lb of extra light DME
1oz summit bittering hop
1oz zythos hops flavoring
Then I'm gonna dry hop with 1 oz citra, 1 oz cascade and 1 oz palisade with 2.5 lbs of mangos. Pry for 4 dAys.

Not sure how it'll turn out. What do you all thin?

Let me just say I've never added fruit to beer. I know many people do. It does seem like an interesting idea.

However, adding mangoes to your beer will add sugar and will probably lead to a rejuvenated fermentation. If you add the citra and cascade when you add the mangoes, you will lose a lot of the benefits of the these hops.

If you really want to use the mangoes, add them, let the yeast work for a couple days, rack into a secondary, then add the citra and cascade for a week. Be aware, you will not get any sweetness from the mangoes because the yeast will eat the sugars.

However, if you want just the sweet mango aroma, then just dry hop with galaxy hops and maybe some citra too. I find that galaxy really gives my IPAsa a nice mango aroma. Don't use the mangoes at all.

As I said, I've never used fruit in my beer, so I'd stick with just using the galaxy hops. Either way, you'll probably get a tasty brew.

Interestingly enough I've just gotten done making two completely different beers, but one used galaxy for dry hopping, and the other experimented with fresh fruit.

I made a blonde ale and used 6lbs of home grown peaches that were frozen. It had a really strong second fermentation, and the flavors were subtle. Fresh fruit adds no extra sweet flavor, more some tartness and slight fruit aroma and taste. I don't know how noticeable 2lbs of mango would be in a hop heavy beer...

That being said the pale ale I made and dry hopped with galaxy had an extremely noticeable mango aroma and tropical fruit taste!

Maybe do both???

Back