Brew Pub Recommendations - New Orleans

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MEPNew2Brew

Reaction score
I will be heading to New Orleans for business. Does anyone have any recommendations for Brew Pubs to visit while there?

Thank you.

I really like Abita's Jackamo IPA but I've never been there and don't know how close it is to NOLA. Hope the trip goes well as you find some good brew.

I really like Abita's Jackamo IPA but I've never been there and don't know how close it is to NOLA. Hope the trip goes well as you find some good brew.

Abita is at least 45-1hr away, on the other side of Lake Pontchartrain. If you are driving, it may be worth it, otherwise i dunno. Dixie Brewing is in NOLA....or at least it was until Katrina....when it got looted and everything was stolen....don't know if it's still there, i know they still make beer tho. One would think given it's reputation for drinking, NOLA would be a hot bed for craft brews, but it's just not really...

Abita is really not that good IMO. NOLA does free tours on Friday. I highly suggest it. Avenue pub is great for beer and if you wants place with food go to the bulldog. Their buffalo chicken sandwiches AWESOME! It's on a jalapeño cheese bun too. The beer scene is improving here, it nothing to write home about sadly.

Oh and jockamo is terrible IMO. Their restoration pale ale is one of their best. Also their vanilla double dog is pretty good. Dixie could be great but sadly is pretty terrible. If you want a local store to get a stash go to stein's deli.

I've sadly never been to crescent city brew house but Gordon biersch's beers are good. I love their bocks and pilsner. It's not a local place though. I know many who love their food but my only experience there wasn't great.

Was in NO a couple years ago and stopped by Crescent City. Their brewer is German, and it shows: had a great pilsner, had an IPA that tasted like an owner told his German brewer, "Can't you please just finally make an American IPA?" and he grudgingly did so. It was fine technically, just didn't pop and was pretty restrained. But overall good beer there.

If you are looking for just a great beer bar go to the Bulldog and if you are looking for a gastropub. Go to the Chimes in Covington. Over 80 taps at both places and the food and the view of the river at chimes are great.

I think you'll be disappointed with the brewpubs and breweries here. I live in Louisiana and all of them ( especially Abita) just make mediocre run of the mill stuff. I've never been impressed by any except for NOLA brewing company. Their brown ale and their IPA are actually pretty good.

Thanks for the replies and the tips. Will be travelling to NOLA for work (convention). So, not sure how much time I will have to hit local brew pubs.

Haven't been since Katrina, so not sure how things are now, but DBA is still there and is great for belgium beers and high end sprits, esp rhum and burbon. Copter Browns use to have a great beer selection. Though as much as I love beer when in New Orleans, I find it's better to stick to a cocktail

Back