Star Trek or Star Wars?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By Nov 7 when the full set comes out I should be through DA:O and DA:II, maybe partly through the Witcher series. I'm going slow in my replaying as I've played them all once now so while I go quicker, I'm not dedicated to the up till 6am nights like I am when they are new.

Going to have to check it out.

Back to the topic, I always though ti would be cool for someone to combine the 2 series, if Star Wars was a "long time ago in a galaxy far far away", couldn't while a federation ship is exploring the far side of some quadrant find a galaxy with Jedi and Wookies? Or maybe have an arms dealer carrying a light saber he received while on his travels. If done right it would be awesome. But Hollywood would probably **** it up.

Back to the topic, I always though ti would be cool for someone to combine the 2 series, if Star Wars was a "long time ago in a galaxy far far away", couldn't while a federation ship is exploring the far side of some quadrant find a galaxy with Jedi and Wookies? Or maybe have an arms dealer carrying a light saber he received while on his travels. If done right it would be awesome. But Hollywood would probably **** it up.

That would be a licensing nightmare, haha. But I always love cross-series mashup stuff. That would be a blast.

Not really sure why this is even debated. I love them both, but Star Wars is an action movie while Star Trek is something completely different. But if I had to choose ill take Star Trek. I'd much rather watch a few episodes of Star Trek then have to sit through episodes 1-3. I'm addicted to Star Trek though cant say how many times I've seen each episode of tos and tng, and it never gets old. I just recently came around on voyager, and I love it. Was turned off by ds9, I tried I just couldn't get into it

Homercidal said:
Star Wars has Princess Leia in a golden bikini.

And if that wasn't enough, it also had Natalie Portman.

Checkmate.

So that scene gets full marks (which btw was also the climax of Carrie Fishers life as far as beauty, wealth, and cocaine use), but I think ST gets the fine ladies award by virtue of sheer proliferation. Actually Carrie Fisher was kind of a dog if you really look at her, and she has matured into an extremely unpleasant looking older woman.

bottlebomber said:
So that scene gets full marks (which btw was also the climax of Carrie Fishers life as far as beauty, wealth, and cocaine use), but I think ST gets the fine ladies award by virtue of sheer proliferation. Actually Carrie Fisher was kind of a dog if you really look at her, and she has matured into an extremely unpleasant looking older woman.

A dog?!? You're crazy! I agree she has become a giant bag of **** but when she sported the golden bikini, that was the woman of my childhood dreams.

How about listing some of this "proliferation"?

I'm sure 7 of 9 is one, although she never really did it for me, personally.

And let's not let current look looks factor in here. EVERYONE goes downhill at some point in their life. You have to consider them as they appeared in the show.

Checkmate.

Don't forget the best lookalike/double of all time...keira knightley as natelie portman or wait natelie portman as keira knightley...wait, scratch that, reverse it.

51043.6a00d83451b05569e20120a6ac73f4970c-450wi.jpg

This. Homercidal FTW.

Don't get me wrong, I have watched every Star Trek movie and a lot of the shows. Next Gen was great. And I love the old cheesy Kirk/Spock shows. What was up with that black blob alien?

But it's friggin Star Wars. Boba Fett, Yoda, Darth Vader, Han Solo, Chewbacca. These characters are so goofy and yet so perfect. Will never be matched in my world.

Checkmate.

You just sacrificed your queen for 2 pawns.

agree.....

How about listing some of this "proliferation"?

I'm sure 7 of 9 is one, although she never really did it for me, personally.

And let's not let current look looks factor in here. EVERYONE goes downhill at some point in their life. You have to consider them as they appeared in the show.

I guess there really weren't that many..

While BB started, I'll raise and go for the kill. Some of the following pictures are not from their Star Trek roles, but all of the following women have graced the Star Trek stage.

images

images

images

images

images

images

images

images

images

images

images

images

images

Star Wars has a wookie and yoda.... Oh, and little bear things.

After that post, I just realized several of the star trek ladies have posed for Playboy. Think I'll start a thread over in the other forum here after iget home and off the work computer.

First Natalie Portman is better than any **** that was in any Star Trek ever. Second, the original 3 Star Wars is the anwser here. Anyone who says different can *******.

I'm not sure you can really use Natalie Portman since every star wars movie she was in blew and her character was crap. Sure she's a good actress and hot but they really didn't do her justice in star wars.

And Carrie Fisher was hot as Leah. And Marina Sirtis (Troi) has kinda gone downhill too. But for every SW hottie there's 5 ST.

Erroneous said:
And Carrie Fisher was hot as Leah. And Marina Sirtis (Troi) has kinda gone downhill too. But for every SW hottie there's 5 ST.
You're right, she was hot as Leah. However, she was not hot when not Leah. And that's why I voted Star Wars, because the chemistry that was going for those movies was so amazing that gaunt and stern faced women with thin lips suddenly appeared hot. Pure magic.

I'm not sure you can really use Natalie Portman since every star wars movie she was in blew and her character was crap. Sure she's a good actress and hot but they really didn't do her justice in star wars.

Yeah, well, I'm not talking about her acting ability here...

I never thought Marina Sirtis was very hot in ST anyway. I'll still stack Princess Leia and Queen Amidala (Portman/Knightly) against your horde of ST swooners. Pretty much all of the hot chicks from the early days were one-off sex objects for Kirk, or rarely one of the other main male cast members.

With the exception of Yeoman Rand, who was still Kirk's plaything and nothing more, and Uhura, who was pretty hot, I'll admit.

Those last comments were not to try and disparage the ladies, but just an observation about how times have changed. As much as ST tried to push social norms in a new direction, they were still archaic compared to the TNG in the way race and gender was treated.

Wow, you lost me there at the end. Lets just stick with the Leah in the Golden Bikini and Natalie Portman running around in tight whities. FTW.

Wow, you lost me there at the end. Lets just stick with the Leah in the Golden Bikini and Natalie Portman running around in tight whities. FTW.

Yeah, I am not sure I can understand what I posted either now that I read it again. It was so much clearer in my head though, trust me.

Has anyone ever watched Star Trek and thought, "Hmm... It's almost as if they are trying to teach me something..."?

Babylon 5 I like best. Between ST and SW I like both about equal.

Star Wars 4,5,6 best ever.
(new)Battlestar Galactica second place.
All of star Trek third.

Star Wars 1,2,3 SUCK. Unwatchable crapola.

cheezydemon3 said:
Star Wars 4,5,6 best ever.
(new)Battlestar Galactica second place.
All of star Trek third.

Star Wars 1,2,3 SUCK. Unwatchable crapola.
BSG has stalled out for me after they settled on the crappy planet! Tell me it picks up

BSG has stalled out for me after they settled on the crappy planet! Tell me it picks up

It SO picks up!!!! I feel your pain. that part actually doesn't last long and is the arm pit of the series.

The rest of it is fairly epic.

The ending satisfied even me, and I am freaking PICKY.

Babylon 5 I like best. Between ST and SW I like both about equal.

I loved B5 except, it kept building up and building up to the ultimate battle, I was expecting fireworks, all I got was a sparkler. I mean what the heck and that was the end of the series.
Oh and between star trek and star wars, star trek hands down, everyone knows star wars was not real.

So here's a question for my trek friends. Of the movie franchises, would you pick original cast, next generation, or the latest class of Star Trek movies?

So here's a question for my trek friends. Of the movie franchises, would you pick original cast, next generation, or the latest class of Star Trek movies?

Original cast, then the new ones, and I don't care about next generation.

Next generation is the only star trek that isn't awesome, and it's not even decent.

When the new star trek movie came out I had my doubts but it was great even though when they blew up the planet Vulcan it meant history changed and none of the events in any of the shows except star trek enterprise would have happened.

I am very eager for the new movie that's coming up.

Star wars..... those guys are geeks.

Live long and prosper.

Star wars as a whole sucks. Yes the first three are crappy, but the wookie christmas special sinks the ship. No matter how cool 4,5 and 6 are.

Star trek as a whole is watered down. How many spin offs are there????
I got tired of counting them all and sure wasn't going to watch them all. SGU seems to be filling in for them now.

If HOT wins it, then I guess BSG despite the less than stellar "Caprica" wins it....

http://techcrunch.com/2009/10/14/maxim-proves-cylons-can-be-kinda-sexy/

Original cast, then the new ones, and I don't care about next generation.

Next generation is the only star trek that isn't awesome, and it's not even decent.

When the new star trek movie came out I had my doubts but it was great even though when they blew up the planet Vulcan it meant history changed and none of the events in any of the shows except star trek enterprise would have happened.

I am very eager for the new movie that's coming up.

Star wars..... those guys are geeks.

Live long and prosper.

I said the same thing but they explained the change in the universe well with the death of kirks dad and the alteration of the timeline.

The new new one coming out looks amazing. All I can say is khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!

I'll still stand by trek over wars though. Trek just also added so much for technology as well. Think of everything trek had that wasn't invented yet, from automatically opening sliding doors to an MRI machine. Stuff wasn't even thought of yet.

There is a set of sliding doors in one of our offices in NYC. Every time I visit and walk though those doors, I hear that Star Trek opening/closing sound in my head. I bet every person who walks through those doors is thinking the exact same thing.

I like Star Trek. I always thought of Star Wars as Lord of the Rings with light sabers and space ships.

I said the same thing but they explained the change in the universe well with the death of kirks dad and the alteration of the timeline.

The new new one coming out looks amazing. All I can say is khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!

I'm o.k. with everything being different.
Since the last movie was sooo good the options for a great less predictable story in the new movie are endless.

I can't wait for the new movie!

Krovitz said:
Anyone think Disneys Episode VII will be any good?

I actually do. Considering the amount of money spent, the intense criticism, and overall magnitude of what they've taken on I think they are going to approach very cautiously and do a great job. Then again the may have Boba Fett dueling with Buzz Lightyear, it's sort of hard to call.

Torchwood
Doctor Who

big drop to:

Enterprise
DS9
New BSG
Star Cops
Cowboy BeBop
Babylon 5
TNG
Voyager
Star Wars
Red Dwarf
ST:Original (it was too Laugh-In cute when I saw it as originally released, but it's aged well)
Stargate
Blake's 7
Space 1999
Old BSG
Buck Rodgers in the 25th Century

Back