Dry "hopping" with flaked barley

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I_Brew_Drunk

Reaction score
I brewed an Anderson Valley Boont Amber Ale clone 6 days ago but I forgot to add the flaked barley ( http://hopville.com/recipe/70437 ). I could be totally wrong but I feel like this is what gives this beer its creamy-ness. Can I just add this into the secondary when I transfer (possibly after boiling/pasteurizing it beforehand), or add a "wort" made using only the flaked barley+water to my secondary (this would also help add volume to reduce headspace in my secondary)? Would this ruin the whole point of secondary by adding additional fermentables? Or would this be completely pointless and not worth the risk of contamination? Thanks :drunk:

Also, have any of you tried a clone of this (that isn't the one I listed) that turned out to be amazing? I'd definitely like to recreate this beer as it's definitely my favorite amber on the market.

Well, you're right about the mouthfeel that flaked barley imparts, but adding/steeping isn't going to get you there. If you feel an absolute need to use it, you'll need to mash it in a small pot (150-160 for half an hour at least) with an equal amount of base malt (2-row, pils, vienna, or light munich should work), boil that wort and add it to your fermentor. You will definitely get more fermentation as you'll be adding sugar, and more sediment will collect in your fermentor but that's no big deal. Most people on this forum don't use a secondary anyway, as leaving the beer in primary for the same amount of time is simpler and the beer clears in exactly the same way.

That said, the beer will probably be tasty even without it, but it's doable.

Back