Simcoe APA recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopLife

Reaction score
So my brother asked me to make him a recipe for an American Pale Ale. He wants to use the one ounce of Simcoe he was able to score from his local shop. He is well stocked with other typical pale ale hops: cascade, centennial (only one ounce,) magnum, willamette, chinook, northern brewer.

I am drinking a pretty good pale ale that is my attempt at a session IPA. Should I just set him up with the same recipe? or can y'all give a better suggestion. This is the recipe as I brewed it.

5 Gallon batch

All grain- OG 1.050 with 70% efficiency
SRM: 5 IBU: 40-55

Grain:

8.5 lbs two row
.5 # crystal 15
.5 # munich
.5# wheat (flaked)

hops:

.75 columbus @ 60 minute (he could use magnum)
1.0 Simcoe @ Flameout w/ 20 minute steep
1.25 Cascade @ Flameput w /20 steep
.25 columbus @ flameout w / 20 steep
1.0 cascade DH 7 days

American Ale II (Wyeast 1272) @ 68-72 for 14-21 days total.
Secondary used at 14 days and dry hops added.

Transfer to keg and drink as soon as carbonated.

.5 oz Magnum 60 min
.4 oz magnum 15 min
.35 oz Chinook 15 min
.25 oz Cascade 15 min
.4 oz magnum flameout
.35 oz Chinook flameout
.25oz Cascade flameout
1oz Simcoe Dry Hop

I think thats it, somewhere i read that combination sumwhat emulates Simcoe then let the Simcoe Shine while the beer is at its freshest. Im no hopspert though

This recipe will be known as 'Hop Forward' from now on.

When I get it totally dialed I will add it to the recipe section. I think this beer can match many commercial beers being produced by small brewers in my area. The Malt selection is a good starting point for most hoppy pale ales under 1.055. The hops can be interchanged with a ton of different types to adjust the flavor.

I think almost everyone is crazy about either simcoe or CTZ right now. I wanted to make a beer that could showcase the Simcoe but not cost a ton because of the relatively high price tag simcoe comes with.

I recently made a 10 gallon batch with a few minor changes from the orginal recipe:

I increased the Crystal 15 from .5# per 5 gallons to .75# per 5 gallons

I also added .5 oz cascade @ 10 minutes

I reduced the cascade DH addition .5 oz

I reduced the Simcoe Flameout addition .5 oz

I added a simcoe addition to DH of .5 oz

This beer is pretty damn good.

Back