2nd all grain batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

howlinowl

Reaction score
Well, got my 2nd all grain batch in the kettle boiling. Everything went well until it was time to sparge. No matter what I tried, the sparge stayed stuck. I even removed the hose from my pump and shot some compressed nitrogen up the hose. Got big bubble through the mash, but no flow back. I ended up taking a bowl, and scooping the mash from the tun into a collander sitting in a strainer. When I got to the bottom, the water would get stuck in the collander.

Is this problem caused by too fine a crush? I had my grains crushed by the homebrew shop I purchased my supplies from. Last batch, it stuck, but I blew the clog out and it was smooth sailing.

Anyway, got it all dumped out, then poured my sparge water into the bucket I was putting the spent grains in and did it again as some sort of batch sparge. Took a gravity reading of the wort, Came out to 1.039. The recipe in Promash calls for 1.044 preboil. Should I worry? Or can I just boil it a bit longer and maybe raise the gravity a bit?

Allan

Sorry to hear about your troubles.. I brewed my first AG batch today and had a hard time with mash an sparge temps. What are you using in your MLT to strain , a braid , false bottom??

howlinowl said:
False bottom
Are you not using some kind of filter on the mash tun? I use a SS braid, others use a false bottom or manifold. Need some info on this.

Sorry to hear of your troubles.

Only got about 8 gallons. Couple short of what I was looking for.
Allan

Back