Any good uses for trub?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
drain clenser! haha, no really though... i dont think i could think of anything good besides composting

If you have a septic tank you can stop buying treatment if you dump it down your drains, this is according to the guy who cleaned out my septic tank awhile back.

really...septic system huh. I'm about to move to a house that has one....so just dumb it all down the drain then?

If you wash and harvest the yeast, you'll wind up with enough free yeast to ferment your next four batches.

From 1976 to 1992, my family and I lived in a house with a septic system. The company that pumped it out annually always told me to simply dissolve a "brick" of yeast in some warm water and pour it directly into the septic. I wasn't brewing back then, but I do believe that beer yeast is quite similar to other yeasts, and it will be good for the septic system.

glenn514:mug:

From 1976 to 1992, my family and I lived in a house with a septic system. The company that pumped it out annually always told me to simply dissolve a "brick" of yeast in some warm water and pour it directly into the septic. I wasn't brewing back then, but I do believe that beer yeast is quite similar to other yeasts, and it will be good for the septic system.

... so, you kinda make it sound like it didn't work... :confused:

Sorry, I didn't intend on speaking out of both sides of my mouth! The septic system worked just fine, but to prevent any problems, we had it pumped out annually. The soil in the area did pass "perc" tests, but many leech beds were replaced. I wanted to avoid that expense. The yeast kept it going.

Back