Fermentation produced more heat than expected

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jbear

Reaction score
I brewed a porter on Wednesday evening, using White Labs Irish ale yeast that was washed from a previous batch 2 mos ago. I made a 2.75 L starter (per mrmalty's calculator) and chilled/decanted before pitching. I pitched the yeast at 66*, aerated, then put the fermenter in the closet I use in the basement. This closet with nothing in it will sit right around 60* and I have a tiny space heater with a thermostat set to keep it at 66*.

Thursday morning, about 10-11 hrs after pitching I had airlock activity and the fermometer on my fermenter said the beer was now 68*, but the closet was still 66*. When I got home that evening and checked on it ~24hrs in my fermometer said it was at 73*!! So I moved the fermenter to an unfinished part of the basement with concrete floors, and let it sit overnight. This morning it was back down to 68* and I put it back in the closet...

I guess my main concern is will the heating up to 73* will cause much in the way of off flavors?? in particular I'm concerned with diacetyl with this yeast.

My other concern is that there was basically no airlock activity this morning which makes me wonder if I caused a problem by cooling it back to 68* overnight? I know airlock activity can be a big variable, and doesn't mean anything, etc... its just that in my experience with my system the airlock usually goes a lot longer.

Overall I think this is a lesson for me in temp control and only monitoring ambient instead of actual liquid temps...

Any input would be appreciated, thanks!

You might get slightly more fruity ester with it at 73, but you cooled it down pretty quick. Probably pitching at 66 and leaving it in the closet at 60 would have been perfect. I picked up a Love temp controller at Christmas and have yet to build any kind of chamber but I still use it with fan and/or a heat wrap and it really helps keep temps in line.

Thanks, I was hoping to hear that it was cooled down quick enough.

I guess my only concern then is the lack of visible fermentation activity after I cooled it back to 68*. I'll check on its progress tonight.

Back