Cheap Turkey Fryer ($30). Good Buy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Think it's a 32 qt pot which is fine, but sadly it has the safety timer on the burner. I picked up a burner without the safety feature at Bi-Mart for $25. You can get a 10 gallon aluminum pot cheap at Cash & Carry. I ended up spending more, and got a 10 gallon stainless pot on amazon.

But yeah, for $30, it's a good deal.

My fryer came with a timer. I took an old gate latch, bent it into a 90 and screwed it down with one of the stock screws. Now the timer knob hits the metal and never turns any further. Problem solved.

It looks like it will not hold up over time, as a temp idea, I ma go for it. I would rather buy a better burner and get pots that will hold up. I hate buying stuff twice.

$30.00 is very tempting, will debate this in my head for days, thanks.

I considered putting this up as a good deal on my blog, but the burner just looks too flimsy.

It's hard to beat $30 though.

I have a cheap turkey fryer setup that I use and it's OK. Well, it has produced lots of good beer, so I guess it's better than just OK. Will it last forever? No, but it'll last you long enough until you can really go big and buy some really good stuff.

Do you have to order it online or through the catalog? If nothing else it gives you another (not that you need one) excuse to go roam through Cabela's for a while. That store is deadly; I can't seem to make it out without spending a bunch of money each time I go.

Couldn't you just not put batteries in the temperature safety gauge? Or would it not look at all? As for flimsiness...you could always use it for awhile and then build your own stand for the pot...

26qt will be useless unless you're only going to do small batches. Mine is a 30qt and it's a tight fit to do full boils for AG.

Back