Bottling help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpenfiel

Reaction score
I am unsure what/how much to use in my bottling. I currently have 3 GF gallon batches in which rice solids and sorghum were used. PLEASE HELP!

My rule of thumb is 3/4 cup of dextrose (corn sugar) for a 5 gallon batch of beer, so if you do the math;

(3/4)/5=.15 cups per gallon
.15x3=.45

If you add just shy of a half cup you should be fine. I like to add a bit more than 3/4 to a 5 gl batch because I like higher carbonation, although I wouldn;t play with it too much until you have more experience in understanding the impact on other batches.

Answer; .45 cups of dextrose.

What are you referring to? The initial ingredients of beer, gluten free or not, correspond to similar priming and bottling methods referenced in sections such as http://howtobrew.com/section1/chapter11.html

Your amount of priming sugar will depend on how much carbonation you want as well, and there are style guidelines that say most stouts have this much carbonation, and this type of IPA has this much carbonation, and from there you can use charts or calculators like http://byo.com/resources/carbonation to find out how much sugar or dextrose you would want to acheive that carbonation. (That chart is per 5 gallons so you would just use 3/5ths that amount to get a 3 gallon amount).

Awesome thank you so much for the responses. I was just curious because I know that different sugars have difference amounts of available fermentable sugars, so 3/4 cups of sorghum would not be the same as 3/4 cup of rice solids or corn sugar, correct? Also, the standard priming sugar dextrose is gluten free? Thanks!

I am unsure what/how much to use in my bottling. I currently have 3 GF gallon batches in which rice solids and sorghum were used. PLEASE HELP!

Wait, hang on...

Do you have 3 One gallon batches?

Or a 3 gallon batch?

The previous math of just under 1/2 cup of corn sugar would be the total for bottling 3 gallons of beer.

Dirtbag is correct, dextrose should be 100% gluten free. I have also used table sugar before as a last minute alternative, which is also gluten free; used a 1:1 ratio.

Dorlord is also right, if you have 3 separate batches of 1 gallon carboys additional math needs to be done unless you're looking to manufacture glass shrapnel grenades.

Wait, hang on...

Do you have 3 One gallon batches?

Or a 3 gallon batch?

The previous math of just under 1/2 cup of corn sugar would be the total for bottling 3 gallons of beer.

Yeah 3 separate batches so 1/5 oz should be good. Thanks for the help this is my first GF batch. Bottling tonight hope it goes well!

This was my first time doing GF batches, first time doing my own experimental recipes, and first time brewing/bottling such small batches. Needless to say I made a lot of mistakes, but I learned a lot so hopefully it goes smoother next time. They taste great though!! Didn't do weight but you are right I should have. Thanks for the help guys

Back