Burner Recommendations?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EFaden

Reaction score
Hey all,

Anyone have recommendations for a good burner for me to start with for my switch to all grain? High pressure or low pressure? ... etc? Should I get one with a stand or without a stand? ... Any advice is welcome.

-Eric

SQ-14 Bayou Classic. It's the ideal burner for the typical home brewer IMO. I have several burners and it tops the others in all respects hands down.

I would rather discuss your one post per year...
I bought a 55000BTU burner from Wholesale Sports that has been able to bring 13 gallons to a full boil in a reasonable amount of time. That is about the lowest output I would recommend.

Hey all,

Anyone have recommendations for a good burner for me to start with for my switch to all grain? High pressure or low pressure? ... etc? Should I get one with a stand or without a stand? ... Any advice is welcome.

-Eric

I have a Blichmann floor burner with the optional legs. Heats quickly, precise burner control, quiet, efficient and sturdy. I have done (5) 60 min boils ond still have a little propane left in the 20lb tank. It is certainly more expensive when compared with other burners.

As far as burner's are concerned, I think you'll find that most people are relatively happy with what they got. If you're doing 5 gallons, even the cheap 'turkey fryer' burners you see everywhere in November will do the job, I have one and it works. Of course, I should mention that I never use it but that's because I upgraded to the Hurricane. It's more powerful, quieter, and it runs on natural gas.

For me, noise is a huge issue. Running a high pressure burner for 1.5+ hours while trying to enjoy my afternoon was an impossibility. The noise just really got to me after awhile. For some, that might not matter. My Hurricane is so quiet, the noise of the actual boil drowns it out.

EDIT: I should point out that I'm not recommending the turkey fryer burners. They are ok for turkeys, but the other equipment is near useless for brewing since the pot is often too small. You're better off going with a real burner and buying your pot separate.

I would rather discuss your one post per year...
I bought a 55000BTU burner from Wholesale Sports that has been able to bring 13 gallons to a full boil in a reasonable amount of time. That is about the lowest output I would recommend.

Thanks for the advice all. My one post per year is... well regrettable. Basically I found this forum when I started going back to school so beer brewing had to take a back seat. Now that I have started to settle back into school and a real life I want to pick it back up.

Back