Hoppy Otter Clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lutinplunder

Reaction score
Does anyone have a Hoppy Otter clone? I tasted one that my brother-in-law gave me and really liked it, if no one has a good clone could you recommend a good recipe. I'm new to beer drinking so my preferences lean towards the less bitter beers, Dubbel dach's Orange Honey Hefeweizen is my current staple :mug:
Oh and I'm an extract or steeping brewer (starting to get the equipment necessary to do all-grain though)

"The purest spring water drawn from the River Otter is used to brew this traditional 19th Century-style IPA with a bit of a twist. Handcrafted with English floor malts and our very own yeast, we have added five of the US Pacific Northwest's most citrus-flavored, aromatic whole cone hops to create a new, complex, highly drinkable beer."

~6.8% ABV, but when I had a bottle years back I don’t remember it being as hoppy as an American IPA. Find a good English IPA recipe, then swap out the hops for some combination of Cascade, Centennial, Amarillo, Columbus, Simcoe, and Chinook (holding the alpha acids the same, so adding .5 oz of 10% AA hop where 1 oz of 5% AA hop was called for). Hope that sends you in the right direction, happy to give feedback if you put something together and want a review.

thanks for the point in the right direction oldsock, guess it's time to get my feet wet and try to brew my own recipe *crosses fingers*

some of the things I've learned for reading reviews and the Otter website are...
they use Maris Otter and Golden Promise, barley, wheat, oats, rye and spelt, they dry hop, keg carb and fine with Isinglass.

So using the (supposed & incomplete) recipe for an English IPA from "Brewing Classic Styles"

Grain

12.50 lb Maris Otter
.50 lb Biscuit
.50 lb Crystal 40
.25 lb Crystal 120

mashed at 152F

Hops

60 min
30 min
15 min
01 min
Dry

how would i modify the recipe to clone the Hoppy Otter?

Back